Stolen gsd puppy, bc canada - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:46 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Yeah.

Puppy left out in the yard is at the mercy of whoever is out there.

Maybe it was someone trying to be a hero, "rescuing" the dog from being out in the yard alone. That puppy could eat rocks, mulch, get into all kinds of dangerous trouble.

I choose to keep my dog where I can see him.
And some of us have to go to work, and cannot look at them every moment of the day. One can have puppy-proofed a yard so that the area the puppy is in is safe.

We should not blame owners because there are thieves in the world. That's blaming the victim. Anyone who wants to rescue someone's dog from their yard, needs to go to prison. Theft is theft. And we should be screaming for police to do something about it if dogs are being stolen, not smacking people around for having dogs anywhere but right with them.

Dogs can be stolen within a home too.

My brother's dog was home when the thieves came in -- a little elderly dachsund-beagle mix. The thieves kicked him and injured him. Should I smack my brother for leaving the dog alone in his home, or should I tell him I hope the cops nail the scumbags?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:50 AM
Crowned Member

Okay, but any kind of property left outside is more easily stolen.
Could they have come inside to steal the dog? Certainly. But it is far easier to help yourself when things are just left out there.

As for blame, I'm not sure this is about blame. Everything you choose to do can have certain consequences. Leave your dog alone in the yard, someone can take it. They chose to do that, and those are the consequences.

You don't need to be home looking at your dog, this day and age you can set up a camera hooked up to the Internet and you can check in and see him. I did and I do.

That is my choice. Others are free to choose something else.

And note that the word "rescue" was placed in quotes.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 05-24-2015 at 01:54 AM.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Knighted Member

This is not the first dog I've heard of stolen in BC. I was talking with a Frenchie breeder at a show a few weeks ago. There was a top ranked Frenchie stolen right out of his owner's yard as well. His brother was taken from the vet clinic his owner worked at. She even had someone try to steal a puppy out of an ex-pen at a recent show. It is freaking crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:15 PM

The article on the one up the street from me: Stolen I remember it because the owner is a well known real estate agent here.

Id never leave a puppy in a kennel in my back yard or even unsupervised in outside. These stories are horrible for the families, thieves should be shot, but some people are the cause of their troubles. There is a great invention for puppies called a crate!!!! Locked safely in the home, less chances of trouble including theft.

People are selling mixed breed puppies for $700 to $800 here and getting that price. A stolen puppy could be a good pay day for a thief.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

My car sits in my driveway. I have no garage. So it has to sit in my driveway, as does my lawn mower. If someone takes it, it is theft, pure and simple.

A horse should not be locked in the barn because thieves may come and take him, or dirtbags may come and cut it up -- yes, it has happened. But how horrible to sequester a dog in a house or a horse in a barn because there may be someone out there somewhere that may do something to the critter or steal the critter.

Personally, I think dogs LOVE to be outside. What is inside a house if the owners are not home? Not much, really. I think dogs are healthier if they have plenty of sunshine and are outside. But then, I live in the country, where air and grass and trees and breezes are the norm.

And I think it is a dangerous thing, when we start pointing the finger at owners when something criminal happens to their dogs. Pretty soon we will be condoning it when people take a dog out of a yard.

It used to be a hanging offense to steal cattle or horses. I think stealing an animal, a live creature, ought to be a felony. Dogs are property yes, but they can be bought for thousands or even tens of thousands, but that does not mean that they are worth that or less. It should be Grand Theft Dog, and it should be a felony regardless of whether it is a mix or a purebred or a service dog or a police dog. Oh yeah, police dogs don't get stolen.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

oh I beg your pardon sue, a very well known police canine was stolen here in Michigan not long ago.

I repeat, this is not about BLAME. nobody is accusing the owners of ANYTHING. and this is not about fresh air and breezes. for pete's sake. okay, we know you leave your dogs outside, the warnings on this thread are not personally about YOU and you do not need to defend the practice. People need to understand about the CHOICES and CONSEQUENCES thing, and how, since the the economy tanked a while back, a whole new OCCUPATION has come to be...that of the bundler. Bundlers are out in force here in Michigan and in a whole lotta other states. Most people don't even know what a bundler is, and it's time they learn and understand. This is not our grandparent's America. We live in a day and age where you have to protect what you love. Adult dogs are somewhat different, especially if they're large and not friendly. But anybody who leaves a puppy or small dog out alone in their yard, or loose and visible in their car, is courting trouble.

And it's nice to think about what SHOULD be a felony, but in reality it's hard enough to convict people who do things to PEOPLE, protecting the lives and rights of animals is pretty far down the line, although it makes me unbelievably happy to see signs every once in a while that that could be changing. At this point felony convictions are wishful thinking.

Everybody who reads this thread, PLEASE protect your animals. Thanks and that's all from me on this subject.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Banned

In many places it's illegal to leave your keys in the car and /or your car running.
Yes it's the thief who is a criminal but it's inviting disaster to leave your belongings so vulnerable!
If you don't want your things taken out of your car or yard then don't leave them out in plain view, simple as that!
Katieliz is right, it's a different world these days and not everyone has the luxury of living in a country home where things like this just don't happen
But if your dogs start getting taken from your yard on a regular basis I bet you start doing things differently!
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:28 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoobyDoo View Post
In many places it's illegal to leave your keys in the car and /or your car running.
Yes it's the thief who is a criminal but it's inviting disaster to leave your belongings so vulnerable!
If you don't want your things taken out of your car or yard then don't leave them out in plain view, simple as that!
Katieliz is right, it's a different world these days and not everyone has the luxury of living in a country home where things like this just don't happen
But if your dogs start getting taken from your yard on a regular basis I bet you start doing things differently!

Aaaaahhhh this kind of thinking really annoys me. Sorry. While I get that it's important to stay safe, victim blaming is horrible. It not the victims fault they were the victim of a crime. It's the criminals fault they perpetrated the crime. The end.

Saying stuff like this is like saying, "women should not travel alone, wear skirts, walk at night, flirt with a guy, go on blind dates, if they don't wanna get attacked." Like their choice of clothes or walking route is to blame for being victimized. I hate it. I really hate it. Sorry. Don't mean to single it out. But the thought process is rampant and it really irks me. It irks me more when it goes through my head. And it does.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Banned

I'm sorry but that is not what I said at all. I do not even think like that!!
But if you leave tempting things lying around to be stolen they will be! That's a whole different scenario than being raped so I really resent your implication that's what I meant!!
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:58 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

So if I wear a short skirt and it's tempting to somebody? That's my fault?

You said the victim was "inviting a disaster". That in itself, places some of the blame of the crime on the victim.

Yes I took it that extra step. Took where most people don't like to go.

Do I believe there are things we can do to protect ourselves. Sure do. I practice them a lot. But if I forget to lock to my door, and some creep criminal breaks in, I refuse to accept blame for another's actions. And I refuse to allow someone to tell me I am partially to blame for a criminals actions.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page