7 Year old GSD wandered off -- Doggone dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation 7 Year old GSD wandered off -- Doggone dog

I have a 7 year old Rin Tin Tin look alike.

Yesterday morning after I let him outside for his usual routine, he wandered off around 8AM and haven't seen him since.

I took today off work and spend entire day driving, hiking and looking for my GSD Scooter. I live in a rural mountain area in eastern Tennessee with lots of small farms.

The neighbor down the hill has a bulldog named Lancaster that my Scooter likes to roam around with sometimes. I went to the neighbors house and the neighbor says Lancaster wanders off for sometimes 4 days before he comes back. I am wondering if Scooter would start this kind of behavior with his buddy.

I have left my information and dog description with neighbors within about 2 miles.

Anyone have this happen; and if so how did you find your dog or did he finally come back home??

I am growing gray hair at the moment, hoping the Sheriff or someone calls me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

I had one go missing when I had a friend pet sit for me. He was gone several days. A woman called. He was about 5 miles away, across several very busy streets.

I would create a fenced-in area for your boy when he comes home. Not good for him to have access to the wide world to roam.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 PM

I hope you get your dog back. Please him contained. In my neck of the woods, farmers and ranchers have the right to shoot and kill your dog, if on their property and messing with the live stock.

35 years ago I lost my heart

Gone to the Dogs, Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:46 PM

sorry, hit the wrong button.

Anyway, 35 years ago I lost my heart dog. This dog always ran loose. He was 9 yrs old. Never found him. Never found out what happened. This haunts me to this day.

Gone to the Dogs, Pat
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Wow! 5 miles?

My town only has 2,300 people and I'm over 2 miles from any main roads.
I took a hike yesterday down the hill towards his bulldog buddy Lancaster's house.
I found Scooters tracks and his poop. So I am starting to think Scooter and Lancaster are roaming the hills here. I have already met with all the farmers here and they said they will call my cell and said they would not shoot at a dog unless they were
attacking a calf. There is no animal shelter here, so the Sheriff's department here helps in that capacity as much as possible. I glad Scooter has his collar with rabies tag and a phone number on it.

I'm off again before work to search the dirt roads for tracks and hopefully find my best buddy.

Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Crowned Member

I have a friend who had a dog get loose from a vacation home in Florida. The dog wasn't familiar with the area and would not know how to find it's way back to them. They laid scent tracks (clothes and urine) in the dirt roads for the dog to come across and find it's way back to the area they were staying.

It took the dog three days, but it was found camped out on the third morning, on one of the T-shirts left for it. It had obvious signs that it had been in a scuffle with something, and required vet care. But it survived.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

Sending prayers for Scooter to be found safe and sound. Last summer our next door neighbors beagle ,terrier mix took offf due to fireworks on the fourth. He did everything your doing a week later he was a couple of miles from home distributing flers and someone said looks like thedog my MIL found and sure enough that's where his girl was.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I have a friend who had a dog get loose from a vacation home in Florida. The dog wasn't familiar with the area and would not know how to find it's way back to them. They laid scent tracks (clothes and urine) in the dirt roads for the dog to come across and find it's way back to the area they were staying.

It took the dog three days, but it was found camped out on the third morning, on one of the T-shirts left for it. It had obvious signs that it had been in a scuffle with something, and required vet care. But it survived.
What a great idea Lilie! I will have to remember that one.

OP: I sure hope you find your dog. I am one of those people that will collect a stray dog if I see one. I will go way out of my way to do so. I've done it several times and it gives me great satisfaction to have a lost dog reunited with his owner.

Linus van Pelt Haus Juris CGC. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Elite Member

Sending prayers too that Scooter comes home safe and sound!!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of my best buddy "Scooter".
Came home today and still no news or whereabouts on him.
Missing since morning of 17 Sept 2014.

Have started driving throughout county posting flyers with picture and information.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and kind support!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page