7 Year old GSD wandered off -- Doggone dog - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation 7 yr old GSD wandered off - Scooter update

I have been reaching out further last weekend in my area looking for Scooter.
I decided after talking to our town's vet that I should go to the neighboring county Sheriff and ask if a dog-napping ring is in their area. There is a mega sized flea market in Washington county and they have anything and everything there. The vet (Dr.Taylor) told me a few years ago there was a ring of people snatching purebred dogs and flipping them at the flea market. I talked to the Sheriff's office and they said there hasn't been activity in years; so I went to the flea market and after meeting a couple of vendors I hired a couple of their teenage kids to do some undercover work for me and nobody had brought any adult GSD's to market yesterday.
So I have eyes and ears at the mega-flea market.

So, while driving back home I got a call on my cell phone. It was a hunter calling me about Scooter. He has several game cameras set up in the area and he has captured Scooter's picture on his camera about 5 days ago; Scooter is running around with a pack of dogs, at least two are female Aha!

I was relieved that someone has called me. I drove all afternoon in the area about 3 miles further from the house and I talked to lots of people and they would also keep a lookout for Scooter.
Then another hit, I ran across a retired Navy SEAL that has a large farm and he said he SAW Scooter 3 days ago. His wife is a huge animal lover; they have cattle and goats on the farm including their 5 dogs. She said she didn't need a reward and was going to start looking for Scooter; Wow! I was really humbled after meeting these folks. The man is disabled and we talked a little bit about the campaigns he was involved with. I'm retired military as well and was wearing camouflage pants I used in Afghanistan and we had a nice conversation and now we have a bond--that helps a lot!!

Maxwell is doing great; I have loosened his collar because he has picked up some weight, but he stopped eating and is getting very picky what he eats.

My wife took Scooter's disappearance hard, but is doing better after meeting her adopted boy Maxwell; she made him a scrambled egg and half a pancake for his breakfast and he really liked that.
I'm having my vet doctor in North Carolina run a full blood panel on Maxwell to see if there is anything going on with him.
He is such a good boy and is bonding well with us.

I'll update everyone with news later...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Crowned Member

So so glad to hear! Scooter is alive and well and has found friends, now, he just needs to come home to meet Maxwell, another new friend to meet. Please keep the updates coming, thanks.

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Master Member

thanks for the update. I have been wondering and thinking about Scooter. Sounds like you are getting closer and have more allies.

Meanwhile, Maxwell has stolen a piece of your heart. That's great.

Best of luck in your search,

Michael

Linus van Pelt Haus Juris CGC. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Elite Member

Not sure what other animals you have in the wild around you, but have you thought about putting out a baited trap with raw meat, and then hide nearby and wait for him? I know our indoor cats sometimes escape when our children accidentally hold the door open too long, and we have coyotes around us. We have put out bowls of kibble and chunks of raw meat, and it seems that no matter how far away the cat has wandered, they smell the food and come home. It has worked almost everytime. We set up the food bowls so we can view them from our windows, and sure enough, eventually our lost cat is sitting there chowing down until we rush out to grab them.

Just a thought and an idea that has worked for us about 90% of the time. And I'm pretty sure dogs have much better noses than cats. This might require you to hide nearby in the woods or wherever the latest sighting of your Scooter was, but it might be worth it if it means you can get him back. Utilize those camouflage pants again!

- From one vet to another!

Last edited by counter; 09-29-2014 at 05:09 PM.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Not a bad idea C.

But we have a lot of coyotes and bobcats and I don't want to bring in anymore predators for the farmers to deal with.
My next step is to put my dogs bed in a hefty bag and give it to a coon hunter and see if his dogs can track him down. He wants $250 for 3 days, so this weekend I will do this. I have not received anymore leads on Scooter so I'm going to let a professional hunter take a swing at it.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

and have his dogs tracked other dogs before? There are dogs that are trained to track lost dogs. You might want to look into them before paying the coon hunter

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzieleuk View Post
Not a bad idea C.

But we have a lot of coyotes and bobcats and I don't want to bring in anymore predators for the farmers to deal with.
My next step is to put my dogs bed in a hefty bag and give it to a coon hunter and see if his dogs can track him down. He wants $250 for 3 days, so this weekend I will do this. I have not received anymore leads on Scooter so I'm going to let a professional hunter take a swing at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
and have his dogs tracked other dogs before? There are dogs that are trained to track lost dogs. You might want to look into them before paying the coon hunter
I'd be wary of both. I know there are people out there posing as certified SAR K9 handlers who search for lost pets, but the people in my SAR community made it clear that these people are mostly fakes. I've never heard of a reputable, qualified SAR person/group who can actually succeed at this type of work. And most of the time they charge a lot of money, knowing they can't find your pet, but will tell you something generic so you feel better that you received some sort of closure, while they take your money and run. Yikes...haha! They seem to prey on little old ladies and desperate owners of lost pets. Please be careful and do your research.

I just want to see you get your boy back alive and soon!

Last edited by counter; 09-30-2014 at 11:06 PM.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Crowned Member

Ozzie, any update on Scooter? Hope and pray he is home safe and sound with you, wifey and Maxwell! How is Maxwell doing?

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Hi D.

Maxwell is doing great; his blood work came back perfect and he is up to 76lbs.
His neuter surgery is healed and he's going to the doggie Salon for the "the works".
Also added some flyers to the GSD rescue centers Facebook page in West Virginia and Virginia.

Keep you fingers crossed!
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Crowned Member

Hi Oz, fingers, toes, knees, EVERYTHING crossed for your hunt for Scooter!

Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page