7 Year old GSD wandered off -- Doggone dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Master Member

I sure hope you found Scooter. I've been thinking about him.

Linus van Pelt Haus Juris CGC. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Elite Member

i couldn't imagine losing a dog. i really hope something good turns up. this sucks!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

Any updates on Scooter? Hope you found him!

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation 7 yr. old Wandered off - Scooter still missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debanneball View Post
Any updates on Scooter? Hope you found him!
Thanks everyone for asking about Scooter,

I have been canvassing the neighborhoods and some businesses here in Tennessee; people are more than happy to pass the word and call me if they hear anything.

I took an account out with PetAmberAlert.com and I am hoping the media blasts on Facebook and Twitter will turn up something.
My wife has been out of town and comes home Friday; she does not know yet and I know she is going to cry her head off.

Its the beginning of deer hunting season here for bow and arrow; all farmers in my area have posted NO HUNTING signs everywhere just for me to help protect Scooter--I was very moved by that.

I do think someone has Scooter; problem is I think they intend to keep him, because no one has called the phone number on his rabies tag.

I did see a German Shepherd at the animal shelter in Charlotte, NC which is 2 hours away from me; its a longshot but I'm going to take off work early and stop by there and take a look.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 AM
Elite Member

So I lost my Nara once as she was off lead as it was just getting dark. We were near some woods and she must've smelled coyotes or deer. Despite having a 99% solid recall, this was her 1% opportunity to ignore me and be stubborn, possibly thinking she was chasing them away to keep me safe. She ran off into the woods and got lost in the maze of trails that we were both unfamiliar with. I immediately had to leave her there to get my other dogs home first, and grab some gear. I got a flashlight and a whistle, and returned to the woods. I would blow the whistle, yell NARA COME, then shine the light around in a 360 degree pattern, then repeat, as I walked the wooded trails in the dark. After each whistle/recall/flashlight, I would pause everything, stop walking, and listen for her to bark or the jingle/jangle of her dog tags, or just to listen for an animal running through the woods. This gave Nara the chance to hear my voice, hear the much louder whistle, and also see a light beam similar to a lighthouse or airport that would swipe through the forest. GSDs are smart, so I knew she would be smart enough to eventually figure out which direction the source of either the whistle or light was coming from, and as she got closer she would smell me and hear my voice.

There were streets and neighborhoods and farms surrounding these woods, so if she popped out somewhere she could get hit by a car or shot. I told myself, and announced out loud to whatever was listening, that I would stay out there until I either found her or I died, whichever came first, and I was not kidding. It took me 4 hours, with my heart beating like crazy thinking I just lost the first dog I've ever owned, but I finally heard her in a panic running all crazy through the woods, getting closer and closer to my sound and scent. It was a forest built into a mountain, so once I got an idea on her location, I walked the best I could through thorns and thick brush to get straight to her down the hill. She was also cutting through the brush to get to me. When we reached each other, I tackled and hugged her and she fell into my arms exhausted. We sat there for what seemed like an hour, just loving on each other and regaining our strength to find our way out. I've remained vigilant ever since and have not lost any of my dogs. That one incident scared me to death. I hope you are able to find your dog too! I know how you must feel, because I felt it during my 4-hour search. I can't imagine days.

Last edited by counter; 09-23-2014 at 07:41 AM.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Crowned Member

If he is microchipped, the shelter can scan, let you know.
However, drive carefully, and we all hope its Scooter!

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

7 yr old Wandered off - Scooter still missing

The search is still on for Scooter.

My wife comes home tomorrow afternoon; Oh boy, this is going to be hard...

I did drive over to the Animal Shelter in Charlotte; man that is an immaculate facility!! I asked the ladies at the front desk about the number of the dog I came to see. We went to the kennel and it was NOT Scooter. I had a feeling it wasn't, but I had to see.

Anyway, I petted the tall skinny GSD through the cage and he was just the friendliest, calm and bright eyed teenage black/tan GSD. I asked if I could take him out and they brought him into a meeting room just for visiting with the animals there. (You all see where this is going now). I am such a SUCKER!

They told me he was picked up at the Charlotte Airport wandering around the Air Cargo holding area. He was half starved and very, very skinny.
He only weighs 62 lbs.

The ladies said there is a special going on this month and you can adopt him for $10.00 as long as you bring us 6 cans of food, or 2 boxes of milk-bones. I brought back 6 cans of food, and brought this poor guy home. He is about 1.5 yrs. old and healthy considering what he's been through. He loves riding in my truck, loves going on walks and is semi leash trained. I'm feeding him a cup or two at a time. The vet at the animal shelter said to feed him a few times a day, but a little at a time to let his digestive system get back to normal. He was neutered as well, so he's on bed rest after his morning walks.
I'll put up some pictures once I get him cleaned up and add some weight on him. I think I'll call him Maxwell.

I am not ever giving up on finding my Scooter though; I was able to call a couple of shelters in Virginia and the people I talked to said they are 1000% sure there are no GSD's there right now. They did get the PetAmberAlert FAX yesterday and said they have it posted in the office and would let me know if they hear or see anything.

I'm going to a shelter about an hour from me tomorrow afternoon since they don't have their dogs on line for viewing.

Staying positive and focused on finding my buddy. He's out there, I just know it.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

That might be what it takes to bring Scooter home - competition!!!

While you are waiting, please figure out a way to contain the new guy so he too doesn't go walk about.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Crowned Member

Hey Oz, sorry it wasn't Scooter, but glad you found Maxwell. Great name! Fingers crossed Scooter comes home.

Enjoy
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Crowned Member

I am sending out good thoughts for you to find your Scooter. Thanks for adopting the new guy and please set up an enclosure for him outside!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page