Your opinions of Ranger (our girl) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Your opinions of Ranger (our girl)

I posted this on another GSD forum, I figured I would post it here also to get some more opinions of our new pup.

I am a GSD idiot, I would like to think that I did a fair amount of research before we bought our first GSD. What I still have no idea about is what should I expect from our dog.

We bought her from http://www.ablek9.com/ (her parents are Ima Hero and Athena) the breeder was the friendliest and caring of the 20 or so that I spoke to. The dog I brought home picked me rather then me picking her. I have called her several times about "stupid" stuff and she is helpful and very pleasant. So I feel somewhat comfortable with that decision.

The things I have no idea about is what should I expect my dog to look like as far as coloring, body type, sizing? I see a few pictures that look like Ranger on this board but the adult versions of them all vary.

Does she have good coloring or lines? Does she look to be a good GSD?

I do not regret my decision for a second I would like to know what it is that I have, good looking, good lines, good breeder, good potential. Please give me your honest assessment and do not worry about hurting
my feelings.

Here she is http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/d...marlad/Ranger/

Thanks in advance for the comments and critique.

This is our first GSD, we have had numerous Boxers so I am trying to learn.
Pictures of Ranger below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Your opinions of Ranger (our girl)

Welcome to the board! From the website, I can't see anything that I would personally look for in a breeder. The breeder allowed you to pick your puppy and you are not experienced, so how will you know if you picked the puppy that will grow into a pushy, dominant dog that will push your buttons every day or a puppy more suited to a beginner? A good breeder will have a better idea of this but an outsider to the litter will have a very slim chance of picking right. They have white dogs which is not an accepted color in the breed and breed them, they seem to breed oversized dogs (they advert one as 120 lbs!! WAY TOO BIG- that is totally outside the breed standard), there is no information if the studs and bitches are OFA certified, they breed three breeds (I think that's pushing it- it's hard enough to focus your monies and energies and time in one breed, harder still with two, and now three?!), so personally and ONLY from the website, I would not look at them for a puppy. Now a lot of breeders aren't web designers so they could be a lot better than the website shows.

But they do do agility with their dogs and some other things which is good, but I'd like to see much more. Your puppy is beautiful, but she does have weak pigment in the tan so no, not good color, but it's still a very pretty color. I'd say she is a black and silver which, though faulty, is very nice and I believe there is a photo thread on here with people posting their black and silvers. Just hope that she does not grow into a 100 lb monster! GSDs should be around 70-85 lbs on average, give or take, and should be about 24"-26" (26" being the MAX) at the shoulder. This breed has many health problems, especially joint issues, so smaller is better! Make sure you feed her a quality food, maybe an adult food rather than a puppy food; if she'll be a biggie, then you want slow and steady growth.

Hanging out on this board will definitely teach you a lot about the breed. Come on in and read up and if you have any questions, post away!

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Crowned Member

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=2#Post751842

There we go! The Beautiful Black and Silver Club. Make sure you post Ranger there.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far, as to the Silver and Black she is regeistered as a Cream and Black, maybe my camera does not show it well. But you can see the difference.

As to the other animals she breeds, it is a hobby of her husbands and not a full time deal. In fact I only saw ranch type animals other then the GSD. The other board said something about the size also, I mentioned that the only adult GSD that I saw were not larger by my eyes then any other I saw doing my search.

When I said I she picked me, I told her my parameters and she brought out 3-4 that she felt would be a good fit for me, I eliminated 2 of the first group and she brought out 2 more. Of those final 3 Ranger picked me.

We are feeding her Purina One lamb puppy food for large breeds. What do you recommend? Price is no object as long as it is going to help prevent issues down the road.

The thing i liked about her dogs was the health guaranty that she offered. 2 years health and hip, she also was current on her shots and when I took her to the vet for the initial visit he was impressed with the type of vaccination and there were no worms found in the testing they did.

At 9 weeks she was 18.8 pounds and with our scale at home (not accurate I am sure) she is showing to be 22 pounds.

This is our first GSD, we have had numerous Boxers so I am trying to learn.
Pictures of Ranger below.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

Welcome to this great site, and your puppy is adorable!
This thread has a very interesting post on grading kibble. Scroll down to get to the part where they are tested.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=2#Post771040

Many opinions are that the puppies really don't need to be on a puppy blend but can go straight to an adult formula.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

The "breeder" (and I use the term loosely) looks like a puppy mill to me. It looks like they are breeding anything with the correct body parts. The adult Yorkie pictures are some of the saddest pictures I have ever seen. And most of the adult GSD pictures aren't much better.

Love your puppy, and if you ever get another GSD (or any other breed ) PLEASE talk with a lot of owners of that breed and get recommendations for a breeder.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 01:29 AM
EJQ
Knighted Member

to this terrific board!

I pretty much agree with what everyone is saying about the breeder. I will admit that the amateurishness of the web site tends to give one a negative impression. Iím not too crazy about the three breeds.

Itís good that your vet has given your puppy a favorable score. This breeder would not have been my choice but the important thing is that you have what appears to be a happy, healthy puppy and thatís not bad.

You asked about food. We used to start our puppies on Eagle Pack Holistic for puppies and then switched to Royal Canin after 12 months. We have a litter due in October and we have decided to start them on Royal Caninís puppy program.

Stick the board, it will be your life line for help.

ARABELLE vom Garringer CGC, TDI

BRYNNA vom Garringer AKC STAR PUPPY, CGC, TDI (crossed over February 15, 2018)
AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:13 PM

Welcome Neighbor. I am just South of you in Burleson/Rendon area.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 05:50 PM

Your puppy is BEAUTIFUL! maybe you should have checked with this board before buying, if you knew about this board. But now that you have this girl, unless you plan to show or breed, I would just concentrate on feeding her well and socializing, and training her. Shepherds are great, and so is this website. Have fun!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

Welcome to the board. Ranger is a good looking pup - from your pictures in photobucket it seems his father is a white GSD. That would have been one of the thngs that would be a flag for you regarding the breeer.

Still - he is a cutie and sounds like he is in a caring and happy family.

My own GSD is from rescue and I know less about her than you do yours. She has been a great joy to me - she was 4 months old when I got her and almost 5 years old now. Where did the time go??

Enjoy Ranger!

Bonnie

-

-

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page