Recently adopted 4 month old GSD mix - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Recently adopted 4 month old GSD mix

Hello... my family recently adopted a wonderful little puppy from a rescue agency. They say she is part GSD, part Golden Retriever, but I don't really see the retriever at all. I have always been very fond of GSD's and have been very impressed by the intelligence and bearing of the ones I have met. Ours has already shown herself to be very intelligent and has fit in very well in our family which includes two middle school age boys and a geriatric rotweiler-lab mix. I am excited to help her grow into a model canine citizen and I am looking forward to learning from others with experience.

Of principle concern for us at the moment is that she continues to gnaw and scratch at her skin despite undergoing treatment for fleas and potential parasites, her coat actually looks pretty healthy though it is considerably shorter than most of the pictures I see of GSD puppies at her age. Also, she barks incessantly at other dogs when there is an opportunity to play (she doesn't bark at dogs aggressively when passing on walks). My uninformed guess is that this has something to do with shepherding instincts, but I'm hoping to learn more so that she can socialize without driving everyone else crazy. I imagine my initial time on this site will be looking for threads that deal with these issues.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

Congratulations! Your pup looks great. Gsd coats can vary considerably, we have one with a short/tight coat similar to yours, one medium, and two coaties.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:34 PM

She's very cute! Welcome! A couple of energetic boys should help drain some energy from that puppy. On some days, I could really use some help to try & tire my dog out. She's like the energizer bunny - keeps on going & going, LOL

My dog is 15 months now & she has had itching problems off & on. A couple of times, when she had irritated skin (red areas on her belly & a couple other areas), I took her into the vet & got some meds. & it cleared up after that. Sometimes a bath, with some gentle shampoo can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:02 AM
Crowned Member

Welcome gdub! I don't see much golden influence yet either in your puppy, but who knows what time will tell?! She is a cuty though, congratulations! Enjoy her!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in