German Shepherds Forum banner

TOFU in da house!

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  GhostWSS 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for everyone contributing to this site and helping us newbies with our shepherds.

I immediately found out after getting my 18 week old puppy that having a shepherd is not for the weak :surprise:

Please meet TOFU who is now 8.5months old. He's Swiss shepherd x Samoyed. It's been a crazy 4.5 months with him with endless walks, obedience and socializing. Funny how I used to think that I had too much free leisure time before getting him... LOL I'm certainly getting quite the education on being a dog owner!

Here are some pictures from the past 4 months:

#7 ·
He is absolutely gorgeous. That age they will test you just like teenagers and try to see what they can get away with. I love the breed but they can be pushy and obnoxious and full of themselves but when all the dots connects as their brain matures and it will -with repetition and structure they really turn out to be quite incredible.

#9 ·
He came with the name "Chase" which I hated. Initially, I thought Polar because of his black nose and white fur. But as I thought about it, I liked Butter more. In the end I put it to a vote at the office: Butter, Tofu or Litchi (I was obviously hungry at the time). Triple tie at the office! Now everyone at the office calls him by their preferred name LOL

#10 ·
Ha, another foodie person like me!
My daughter named our dog (Rumo, after a favorite book of hers about a white wolfdog) or else he could have had a food name too.

The white Great Pyrenees we know is named "Snowy" (obviously a dog named by kids ?)

There was a huge English Sheepdog looking dog down the street who was named "Dumpling". Somehow the name didn't seem to fit his 100+ pound galloping self.

#17 ·
Very astute! The family relinquishing him said he's from a backyard breeder and indeed said Berger Blanc Suisse (which translates into Swiss White Shepherd, but I shorten it into Swiss Shepherd) x Samoyed. Tofu is quite bouncy which I attribute to Samoyed but it could just be that he's still a puppy that's making him bouncy.

But I honestly think that he looks 100% Berger Blanc Suisse, with the exception that he's really small (58 pounds @8months, he only gained 1 pound in 2 months, 28" to withers and 25" withers to tail). Which leads me into another concern that I have - Am I feeding him enough? The back of the puppy food bag says for his weight to feed 2.75 cups. I'm giving him 3 cups per day because I feel that we're doing much more activity than the average puppy (7.5miles walking, 30-45min dog-dog wrestling, 30min training). My vet was present during all weigh-ins and assured me that he's a healthy size and weight. Yet I can feel his entire ribcage.

#19 ·
@adora155 He looks great to me. He has a longer coat so it would be more difficult to see ribs. It is said you should see the last one or two ribs but able to feel all. I always made sure I check with vet in amount being fed. He still will grow and fill out. A Swiss / bb look like they have a lighter frame to me versus a akc white gsd. They also have a range in weight in height and some may be in the smaller side just as some may be on the larger side. There actually a few people that have them on here. If you type in the search menu you should see some information on here about them. I would copy and paste the links but that does not seem to work anymore.

#21 ·
Bb- Berger blancs are a breed recognized in Europe. It is a different breed then akc white gsd with similar overlapping histories. All Berger blanc also called Swiss Berger Blancs have long hair. They have a bit softer temperament and different structure then a Akc white gsd.
There is a big thread on here somewhere about them.

#22 ·
Not ALL Berger Blanc Suisse have long coats, they also both come in short and long coat varieties.:smile2:

Bb- Berger blancs are a breed recognized in Europe. It is a different breed then akc white gsd with similar overlapping histories. All Berger blanc also called Swiss Berger Blancs have long hair. They have a bit softer temperament and different structure then a Akc white gsd.
There is a big thread on here somewhere about them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.