• 1 Post By BluNyxMom
  • 1 Post By pfeller
  • 3 Post By Chip Blasiole
  • 1 Post By pfeller
  • 1 Post By adora155

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Meet BluNyx - Our First GSD

Hello all. I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself and my German Shepherd pup, BluNyx. My son and I had been looking for a dog since we got into a house from an apt (finally) and had the pleasure of meeting Blu shortly after our search began. We instantly connected and we knew she was the perfect fit for our little family. We've had her a little over 2 weeks now (she is 14 weeks young) and very excited to have her in our home. She is sweet-tempered as well as energetic and a quick learner at that. I would like to pose a question on here, if I may. What is the best way to train a GSD? I was thinking of going to a professional to help me train her (she already knows how to sit and to come when I call her) or should I just keep training her myself? Any recommendations would be great. Thank you and I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

Olga
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4162.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	526087  
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:41 AM

Hi! that is a beautiful pup there. Interesting color pattern.
I'm no expert, but I did get my own first GSD almost a year ago now. I have an older dog that we've had for years and years. We trained her ourselves and she turned out great.
But our GSD boy, he started out great, picking up the basics very quickly, walked well on leash etc. Then he got about 6/7 months old. He started pulling on leash when excited. He started coming only if he felt like it. Still would sit, down, kind of stay. Would bowl me over when opening door and started jumping on me and anyone else who showed him an interest. At this point he was nearly 70lbs. (he's huge)

I took him to vet for weighing and flea meds, when nurse walked down the hall to show us to the room, he ran after her, nearly pulled my shoulder out of socket and I almost fell down. There was no way I was able to stop him, he was too big, too strong. I realized my easy laid back manner of training (how I did it with my first dog) wasn't working and I needed help. Fast.

We put him in a 4 week boarded 'boot camp'. Yes it was hard. Yes it was spendy. Yes they trained us too.
Best money I've ever spent. He is now 1 yr old, still a work in progress. He heals beautifully. Sit, down, stay is great. Recall (come) is still a bit iffy if he is having fun. And he only jumps on those who let him. He seems to know who those folks are...

Personally I recommend finding a solid reputable training who has experience with GSD's and research/read about these great dogs.
BluNyxMom likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all that info! 4-week boarded boot camp, you say? Hmmm... I will definitely look into that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Master Member

Training a dog is akin to raising a child. You don't send them off for someone else to train them. You research how to train and do it your self. Finding someone with experience is always helpful. If you just want pet training, it isn't rocket science.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
Training a dog is akin to raising a child. You don't send them off for someone else to train them. You research how to train and do it your self. Finding someone with experience is always helpful. If you just want pet training, it isn't rocket science.

You do things your way, I did it the way it worked for us. It may be a way that works for others too.
Try not to be so judgmental with a method that someone else uses.
BluNyxMom likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Noted...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:57 PM

Welcome to the puppy club!

I'm still new at this. But I had read on this forum that Leerburg.com online trainers are helpful and in particular Michael Ellis' training videos. It's a lot cheaper than hiring a trainer. His video "The Power of Training Dogs with Food" is presently 40% off and really gives excellent advice on luring & shaping.
BluNyxMom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page