Takes a long time to eat his Dinner - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Takes a long time to eat his Dinner

Red eats once a day ( his own choice since he stopped eating in the morning), and went he gets his meal, he takes a long time to eat it; while going and doing other things, and then coming back to nibble some more (sometimes taking 1 hr to finish). My question to the ones with a high canine IQ: Is it because we have fed the same kibble for 6 months and he needs a change of foods? or, is it a bad habit that he now have ? Did read here some time ago, that some folks alternate between 2 foods every 3 months, to avoid taste boredom; so, was wondering if this is common practice or it does depend on the Dog. Are most GSD's cleaning their bowls in 10 minutes with the same food always?, or is it best to change the foods to avoid the same ol same ol food dissatisfaction?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Elite Member

Mine is a slow leisurely eater. You could alternate toppings on your food and see if that makes a difference. Greated cheese, yoghurt, chopped chicken, etc.
Aly likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Have you checked his teeth for dental pain? I'd look at changing his food or adding a topper of some sort, even bone broth. It's hard to believe a dog eating just once a day is eating that slow. Mine are fed twice a day and they both wolf their food down unless they don't like the food. What food are you feeding?
Aly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

We feed Grain Free Victor Hero Canine

Last edited by Soldes; 09-18-2019 at 07:16 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

Mine eat very fast so the other wonít steal their food and I donít like it. I wish they would eat slower. I feed them in separate rooms so they canít get to the otherís food. I had a single male in the past who ate slowly until I brought in a puppy. Then he started eating a lot faster.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldes View Post
We feed Grain Free Victor Hero Canine
None of my GSDs (current dogs or past dogs-the last 5 dogs I've fed it to) EVER liked Victor. I would try something else. I currently feed Dr. Gary's Best Breed. One gets the German variety (chicken) and the other with allergies gets the Salmon & Herbs variety and they LOVE their food. It's not grain free but it doesn't have peas and agrees with my pup that's prone to yeast overgrowth. It's reasonably priced enough that I also add cooked meat, eggs, etc. for additional protein.

Last edited by crittersitter; 09-18-2019 at 09:36 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:37 PM

I’ve never had a picky or slow eater. I’d esitimate all of my GSD have finished their meals in 2-3 minutes. Maybe it’s because they’re rescues... or because they’re usually part of a multi pet household at some point or another. Not sure.

Easier said than done I suppose, but my general rule should I ever need it is to feed them what they’ll finish in a couple minutes..... if they walk away, the food gets taken away and not offered again until their next meal time.
Aly likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:31 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldes View Post
Are most GSD's cleaning their bowls in 10 minutes with the same food always?
10 minutes?! How about, 1-2 minutes!
My dog always eats like he is starved.
( We are watching his weight and trying to hold him steady under 80 lbs so hmm, he might actually feel starving sometimes!)

He has the same base kibble always, but he gets just a few spoonfuls of "topper" mixed in at each meal. Often it's plain cooked meat, chopped into bits. Or some hardboiled egg. Or plain broiled salmon, chopped into bits. If we don't have anything (like, going out to dinner) then I mix in a few spoonfuls of a premium canned dogfood for flavoring. Because it's only a few spoonfuls each time, one can of dogfood will last for 4 meals, so it's affordable.

So yes, he's a bit spoiled! But I'm kind of foodie too...I don't like to eat the same thing for breakfast more than two days in a row, and since I cook almost every day, it's no trouble to make a little bit of plain meat for him on the side.

You could also try a different kibble brand, but switch over slowly (25/75 then 50/50 then 75/25 etc)

I think every dog is different though! Some are pickier eaters than others.
He looks beautiful and healthy though!

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:51 PM
Master Member

The GSD we got would only eat at a reasonable pace/amount if we enforced a feed schedule. Without it she doesn't eat a whole lot and just lays down and slowly munches through it when she feels like it.

But when we set a feed schedule and food was put up after she was given time to eat it she got better at eating consistently. So say food was set down she had so long to eat it and up it went. Food was offered again at the next meal time. Also how much food do you feed him? I misread the packaging on a new food I got awhile back and so was overfeeding my pup so she'd only eat once a day. For some reason I spaced out and thought x-amount of cups was per meal not per day.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Will start trying to use food toppers to see if this makes a difference. Any other commercial toppers aside from canned dog food and the chopped eggs, chicken, ham etc., available out there?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page