German Shepherds Forum banner

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Groundpounder17 
#1 ·
Hello,

I’ve been coming here reading for quite some time and finally decided to join. I’ve been looking for a GSD puppy for some time and have to admit as someone relatively new to the breed it is intimidating trying to find a good breeder.

I believe I have found the perfect breeder and litter. I’ve been talking to Wanda of Kleinen Hain German Shepherds. She has been very helpful and knowledgeable. I am going next week to look at some of her pups.

I honestly don’t know much about pedigrees so I was wondering if there is somewhere here on the site I could post the pedigree to see if anyone can help me understand it better.

I’m very excited about the opportunity to learn more about the breed and hopefully soon welcome one to my home

Thanks

#2 ·
Hello, Is there a reason you are leaning towards a GSD if you have never owned a GSD and do not know much about the breed? I am just asking because I would never have chosen the breed if my husband had not had so many growing up and on his own as an adult. They are challenging and require a lot of training. There are some days I worry we made a huge mistake and then days I couldn't imagine life without them.

I would just recommend you do a lot of research (even read the bad stuff) before you get your puppy.

#3 ·
I had them growing up. We had 4 when I was growing up, both sets of my grandparents had them and my parents have one now. By relatively new to the breed I meant that I haven’t had one in several years and have never participated in any organized GSD clubs or events but I I am wanting to start

#4 ·
Welcome! I believe every home should have a German Shepherd, not sure why no one agrees with me.

There is a whole section on bloodlines where you can post pedigrees and get input. Just be patient. A lot of the people on here that have in depth knowledge of bloodlines don't spend much time on line.

#7 ·
I’ll be honest, I just did a quick search of the site. But the only thing that caught me was that they breed high drive dogs. Make sure you know what that means and that you have the means (both time wise and money wise) to keep this pup busy! I’m not pedigree savvy, so no help on that end, sorry.

#13 ·
I commend you for doing research before committing. It shows you are responsible and care. I will say that most dogs can and are willing to jog 5-6 miles a day and would probably love it, as long as they are physically capable of comfortably doing so. I don’t feel you would need to specifically obtain a working line dog to achieve this. BUT there are variations in drive within each line. Dog sports are also fun and if you are in it for fun and to do your personal bests and not to be the “best of the best” most physically able dogs will fulfill that need admirably. Either way I am excited and congratulate you on your future new addition, puppyhood is both fun and challenging. Please post photos once you do!

#14 ·
Am I the only one that feels like GSD’s are a treat to train and own, and are great for newbs as long as they are aware of the needs and landsharking? Whip smart, happy to please their owners, loyal, and active in a non spaz way? The only thing I find more difficult with a GSD than other breeds is the level of biting while pups. And it wasn’t that difficult at all.

I was raised with Rottweilers, and my first husband only wanted labs and Golden’s for hunting dogs. Their energy was the annoying energy to me. Not focused, didn’t care who gave them attention as long as they got it, and not as quick to pick up on training. They only wanted to “work” if there was something in it for them. Food, toys, whatever. They didn’t care if they made you happy, they cared what you were going to do to make them happy.
@Sabismom, I feel the same way, a GSD should be in every capable home.

OP, keep us posted, I love hearing new pup stories, and of course, we all love new pup pictures!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.