Best Foods for Underweight German Shepherd - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:46 PM

She's very pretty! Everything is still new to her. It'll take time for her to settle in and relax. She's lucky to have you. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 PM
Elite Member

High calorie kibble (raw if you're up for that), a tsp-tbs coconut oil a day, a couple eggs a week.
Nice looking dog, she'll be great!

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Elite Member

Pictures do not make her look underweight. What is the actual weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
Pictures do not make her look underweight. What is the actual weight?
She is 61.8 pounds. She sits at around 21 inches. Vet said for her size he'd like her to gain at least 10 pounds.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

Is the vet overweight?
Sabis mom likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Crowned Member

@wolfy dog, kind of what I was thinking!

Shadow is 23" and at 60lbs she would be FAT! I realize that all dogs are different but she looks fine, and what a face, so sweet.

Licking paws and panting COULD indicate pain or discomfort. Nausea will make some dogs lick at their legs. Call her vet if you are concerned. I hope she feels better soon.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:07 AM
Master Member

Whoa. That would put her at the same weight as my dog, and she has 5 inches of height on your girl. I think your vet is very misguided in the amount of weight needed in this case.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:17 AM
Crowned Member

She does look good and not under weight from what I can see beautiful girl! I would not make any major changes to her food yet but adding something may make her want to eat. Fromm is a great food with all different price ranges. There are a lot of great threads on here about a two week shutdown period for bringing new dogs home and helping them adjust.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalGSDLover View Post
She is 61.8 pounds. She sits at around 21 inches. Vet said for her size he'd like her to gain at least 10 pounds.

She looks fine and is within the proper weight standards. Just get the dog into a comfortable routine and make sure she is eating and drinking water and getting acclimated to her new home. No need for quick weight gains. I would avoid the high calorie foods that were posted below if this was my dog now that we know the weight and have seen some pictures. Good luck she will be fine once she gets comfortable and her weight will be fine. Dog was stressed I am sure.

https://www.germanshepherddog.com/ab...eed-standards/

Last edited by kr16; 06-14-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys! Thank you for all the responses and the advice!

I think my pictures were a little misleading especially the one on the couch haha.

Here’s a shot of her from above. While I definitely didn’t trust that vet for a few other reasons I know she needs to gain at least a few pounds because she is ALL bone. Her spine protrudes out completely and she has a very petite hourglass figure.

Right now I have her eating about 4 times a day (she gets hungry in bursts throughout the day, but like everyone has said slow and steady!) of Blue dry and wet food. In total for the day she eats 4 cups of dry food and a whole can of wet food. She’s been pretty constipated since she came home and hasn’t pooped much but when she does it’s solid.

Everyday she gets a little bit better! 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33D65CAC-6912-4B11-AA75-1566C4F88410_1560532910691.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	522227  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page