Hello From New Orleans - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Hello From New Orleans

Hi everyone! Just joined. I have an 8 year old GSD that I just moved to New Orleans from Orlando Florida. Been wanting to join this group forum for a while. But now that I’m living with a new girlfriend who has a small Chihuahua and I need my GSD to behave properly for the first time around a smaller dog. My GSD is very very well behaved he just has this stomping issue on the small dog that could cause harm to the little guy. Not to mention this action really really upsets my girlfriend, she may ask us to leave the house. Can someone help me? Please? I don’t wanna be in the streets with my pup haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:51 PM
Knighted Member

Welcome to the forum! I have a large GSD and a small Chihuahua who have been living together in "nearly" complete harmony for the past 10 or 12 months. What exactly do you mean by a stomping issue? Is your GSD pawing the little dog? With mine, I watch and tell them to calm down occasionally, but for the most part the GSD seems very cognizant of the smaller dog's size and seems to be pretty careful with him. They play though, and surprisingly play like you'd expect 2 dogs of the same size to, showing teeth and comparing bite sizes, it's really quite comical to see LOL!

The other day though, the GSD was seeking a squirrel and jumped up on a tree trunk trying to get at the squirrel. When she landed one of her feet came right down on the Chi's back and I was very worried he'd be severely injured!

So the size difference can be a problem! Fortunately my Chi wasn't injured, but it could have been, so caution is needed! I guess how you handle it depends a lot on the dogs involved though. And it's certainly worth noting that it may or may not work out well...some big dogs just plain don't like or respect small dogs, while other seem to do it naturally without much guidance.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Hi welcome. I would always supervise when together use a long lead to correct your dog. If it is a frequent thing keep them separated using crates. My dogs get along but I always crate my chihuahua when going out just to be safe. Your dog can really injure the small dog so if you are not supervising and unable to prevent this then separate them with crates and rotate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page