Maybe Someone here can Learn from our Mistake - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Maybe Someone here can Learn from our Mistake

Last Monday, our house was broken in, and a lifetime of jewelry assets and a collection of high end watches; as well as my fiancé's 2 week old weeding ring, were stolen. As fate will have it, Red, our 16 month old pup, was locked up in a sturdy crate, our home alarm was not on during the day; and my future wife was in a hurry, and did not put on her rings that morning. I have lived in this very safe neighborhood (voted 1 of the top five to live in the country), for the last 28 years, and never had anything stolen, or a near by home being broken in. All the proper police reports have been made, and a description of all the assets lost, have been provided to the authorities; and yes, we will still go on with next Saturday weeding celebration.
Before folks blame our oversights and complacency of not having the alarm on etc, etc.; we absolutely take responsibility for all those mistakes, that created the perfect burglary conditions.
It is not our intent for people to feel sorry for us, we are blessed!, no one was injured, and Red continues to be his usual self. The reason I decided to post what happened to us, is that, perhaps there are forum members that live out in the country, or in neighborhoods in which burglaries never happen; and maybe, this can help another fellow GSD owner not to assume that because the dog is in the house, no one can dare come inside.
Apologies in advance, for posting a topic that is out of the dedicated pertinent post of this great GSD forum.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

Wow. So sorry to hear this, what crappy timing. I'm glad you are carrying on with your wedding.

I am always startled that thieves will risk a dog encounter however, I did alarm response for a while and I know that it is common for them to "test" so they would know your boy was secured. Thank heavens they didn't harm or steal him.
Sabi seldom woke up when people entered my house while I was gone. It was pretty common for my staff to stop by and let her out or pick her up for me. Basically if I was in the house you couldn't set foot on the property and if I wasn't she would just show you where the treats were.
LRP likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Oh no

I'm glad you're all safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Elite Member

Oh gosh, that's awful. So glad you're all okay.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Master Member

I'm sorry this happened to you and glad that your dog wasn't harmed. Some people train their dogs in personal protection and I don't see much of a need for it except maybe in a circumstance where it buys you a little time to get your gun or something for a weapon. Someone really intent on coming in will simply shoot a dog. The other thing is that the majority of GDSs will not bite and fight a person for real. Even too many working line dogs will not fight a person. A barking dog will usually deter most thieves.
car2ner and CometDog like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:16 PM

thanks for the reminder to always secure the house. Glad your wedding plans are not stopped and that your pup is healthy and safe

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:53 PM
Elite Member

What a miserable experience but I'm glad that it was only items and that your boy is alright. Our neighborhood is pretty safe but sometimes has a quick rash of breakins every few yrs it seems. Lately the town calls for assistance with K9 teams which have been successful a few times tracking the suspect down.

Perhaps the items might be recovered so keep up with any apprehensions of stolen goods in surrounding towns you might luck out.

I wasn't always consistent about locking doors but those days have passed.

I'm glad you aren't letting this ruin your wedding day.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:58 PM
Crowned Member

The best news is that your dog wasn’t harmed. I’m so sorry to hear about your losses. Maybe the police will recover the items.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:05 PM

Sorry this happened to you. Glad Red was unharmed.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:09 PM
Master Member

On a material note...if you have homeowners insurance or even renters insurance, you probably have some coverage of your possessions in your policy?

On a personal note...glad that everybody is safe, and congratulations on your Big Day!

On a canine note...I love photo of Red looking out over the water :-)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page