Introducing Loki! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fodder
  • 1 Post By Leigh Fields

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Talking Introducing Loki!

Hi everyone!

I've posted a few times here as I've been interested for awhile now about welcoming a GSD into my life. I've grown up with dogs, but this would be my first dog that's all my own. I intended to wait until much later in the year and then acquire a dog from a reputable breeder. As fate would have it, however, life took a different turn and now I have this (I think) GSD mix, Loki!

See some pictures here.

Quite a story...

I am moving to San Antonio from Georgia upon graduation in 2 weeks. My very good friend, Bailey, also happens to be moving to San Antonio at the same time. However the military surprised her and she ended up having to run out there a month early so she had to jump into last-minute living arrangements for the month leading up to her lease start-date and unfortunately, it's not dog-friendly.

Anyway, yesterday she's at this animal shelter and among the total chaos spots this lady walking in with a very sweet dog who is clearly a little nervous but trying so hard to be good and still wagging his tail. The lady holding him is absolutely sobbing. She says she needs to get rid of the dog or her husband is going to shoot him because he's chewing things. The dog isn't even 10 months old. This is a very high-kill shelter and she said she'd tried every other option already.

Well, fast-forward... the shelter can't take him and the lady heads back to her car with the dog. My friend, Bailey, who was there and seeing all of this, runs after her and catches her last minute, thank goodness. We were talking through all of this and I told her to take the dog, we'll figure something out. So she did. The lady gave her dog to Bailey and said his name was "Dusty," he was 10mo, neutered, microchipped, and UTD on vaccines. She left, Bailey and the dog left.

Bailey spent the whole day with the dog, now named Loki as we were fairly certain the dog would likely end up with me and I loved that name. She was unable to take Loki home because, well, her living arrangements weren't exactly pet-friendly. We couldn't board him because his former owner hadn't scanned and sent us his paperwork yet and couldn't do so until Monday at work. I, of course, was in Georgia and totally helpless. So we found a wonderful lady on Rover to take him for a few nights until Bailey could get into her dog-friendly apartment in the next week.

Between the day Bailey spent with him and the time he's spent with his Rover sitter, we've found that Loki is absolutely flawless with people and dogs in every single situation you put him in, is happy to be handled, picked up, etc. has no food aggression, absolutely adores any kind of attention but is happy to entertain himself. High prey drive, but higher drive to be a good boy so he's extremely obedient despite not having the training. Whip-smart, already learning. Total goofball, very awkward in his growth stage, not entirely sure what to do with his long legs and body. No aggression about absolutely anything and he's been put through some tests in the last 24 hours. He gets a little nervous about loud noises and people coming up behind him but no aggression, he just cowers with his tail tucked and shakes until Bailey, who he decided to trust quickly, tells him it's okay and then he's like "okay! I would love to meet you!" and turns into a wiggly little puppy again. Literally, a flawless dog, that was almost killed for being a puppy. And the best part? He hasn't shown any sort of destructive behavior at all.

So Loki will stay with the Rover sitter for a few days, then Bailey, and then I'll arrive in Texas and he'll move in permanently with me. He's got a goofy personality, he's a really, really great dog so far as anyone can tell. I haven't met him myself yet, but I can't wait. I had to share!

He'll go to the vet soon for a wellness check and test for heartworm and all that fun stuff then we'll get him going on everything. I've already got his collar and tag, his microchip is officially in my name now, and I've picked out a vet. I've also got a list of wishlist items for him. I'd love to buy everything for him at once but I wasn't planning on getting a dog right away, let alone before I even arrived in Texas! Bailey was amazing driving him around all day yesterday buying him all the essentials like bowls, leash, harness, etc.

Man, it's tough focusing on finals, let me tell ya!

Anyway... guesses on breed? That curled tail is interesting and man, his eyes!

Leigh

Last edited by Leigh Fields; 05-19-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:51 PM

Congrats!Loki sounds like a great dog.Just a heads up:After he settles in with you it's very likely that he will start up the chewing again.Put some thought into keeping him contained safely when you won't have eyes on him.Best of luck to you all

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:32 AM
Crowned Member

Agreeing with Terri... in addition to the chewing, it is likely that you’ll see some other behaviors pop up as he becomes more comfortable and as he matures... but it’s awesome to see that he’s got such a happy-go-lucky baseline temperament. Live is fun right now, being out and about hanging with other dogs - no time (I presume) for boredom or destructiveness to set in. Not trying to be pessimistic in the least.... just suggesting that you enter this relationship on the conservative side and set him up to remain successful during this transition.

As far as breed.... he’s likely several things, but I’d probably lean towards GSD x Rottie x Malamute.

Best of luck, and congrats.
dogma13 likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Congrats!Loki sounds like a great dog.Just a heads up:After he settles in with you it's very likely that he will start up the chewing again.Put some thought into keeping him contained safely when you won't have eyes on him.Best of luck to you all
Thank you!

Yes, we're definitely keeping an eye on that. So far at night and in the times he has had some down time now with the Rover sitter, he's reportedly been a perfect gentleman. Regardless, however, I plan to crate train him and likely set up a safe area in my new apartment for him to stay when I don't have eyes on him so I'm not setting him up for failure.
dogma13 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Agreeing with Terri... in addition to the chewing, it is likely that you’ll see some other behaviors pop up as he becomes more comfortable and as he matures... but it’s awesome to see that he’s got such a happy-go-lucky baseline temperament. Live is fun right now, being out and about hanging with other dogs - no time (I presume) for boredom or destructiveness to set in. Not trying to be pessimistic in the least.... just suggesting that you enter this relationship on the conservative side and set him up to remain successful during this transition.

As far as breed.... he’s likely several things, but I’d probably lean towards GSD x Rottie x Malamute.

Best of luck, and congrats.
Thank you so much! Yes, definitely. So far at night and in the times he has had some down time now with the Rover sitter, he's reportedly been a perfect gentleman. Regardless, however, I plan to crate train him and likely set up a safe area in my new apartment for him to stay when I don't have eyes on him so I'm not setting him up for failure.

The great news is that so far he's continuing to show no issues with the big stuff that's really difficult to "train out of him" such as aggression of any kind. The rest, given his personality, should be fairly easy to work with if anything pops up. If not, then we'll definitely cross that bridge when we get to it.

But I'm making sure not to have a blanket over my eyes about any of it, don't worry. Thank you for heads up.

Edit: Oh, and good guesses on breed! We were thinking GSD/Husky/something else that makes his ears flop. Eventually, I'll do a DNA test, likely the Embark one that has all that other info too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:59 AM

So stunning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page