First Post! Just Joined!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

First Post! Just Joined!!

Hello everyone! I am a proud owner of a GSD named Bear. He is 7 months old and we have had him since we was 8 weeks! It was our first GSD and we have been so happy with him. He is a sweet dog, loves to play, cuddle, and has his normal puppy habits as well. Lol. He is so food and ball driven! He LOVES to play hide and seek, we hid his toys and he finds them all over the house and backyard. He listens to his commands SO well and it’s the smartest dog I’ve ever owned, by far! However, he does bark a lot at people, other dogs, children. Been that way since he was about 4-5 months... we tried socializing him but with th brutal winter it was hard. He lunges and gets real rowdy. Seems so unsure of himself. More afraid than aggressive, but it comes off as aggression. We are getting private training done in a few weeks from a GSD Trainer. So we are looking forward to his development! There are a few things I wanted some input about and would really appreciate! We just got him neutered two days ago. I unfortunately didn’t do any research on the topic given the advice we got from people we knew and the input from our vet seemed it to be okay... Needless to say I have been reading a lot of stuff in the last 24 hours and I am devasted we got him neutered this early... I have such a feeling of regret and have been really hard on myself for doing it... Can anyone ease my mind with there experiences of neutering at this age and how their dogs turned out? I keep reading (growth plate, joint, hip dysplasia problems) 😔... I have been researching things to help given the fact there’s no going back now! Any advice or testimonials would be greatly appreciated. I can’t say enough how bad I feel right now and I know there’s nothing I can do about it! I am glad to be apart of a forum for GSD loving people! I realized how long of a post this is but I hope you all can understand! Thank you! 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA703496-88FA-44BF-AA3B-9D7818683F30_1553987231513.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	519583  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:14 AM

Hi and Welcome! He looks like such a happy boy!

I don't have any personal experience with neutering males, however, people have been doing it at a fairly young age for a LONG time, and if doing so caused so much developmental damage, I think the practice would have been stopped before it got so common. Yes, neutering early can increase the RISK of certain developmental issues, but that doesn't mean he'll have them. Don't beat yourself up...just be the best doggy-parent you can be and he'll be a happy doggo!

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words Judy! I appreciate it! You too have a great looking pup! 🤗
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:22 PM
Master Member

to the forum....that's a very handsome and happy looking boy you've got there !

As far as early neuter/spay goes...you did what most vets still recommend--I wonder if maybe that will gradually change over time--who knows?....shelters/rescues still spay/neuter which makes perfect sense because they're over crowded and many dogs don't make it out......

For years I was someone who spay/neutered early....it's what I knew....what I believed and to most folks you weren't much of a dog owner if you waited

Most of these guys end up with arthritis later in life...in their spine or due to hip dysplasia or due to ED or simply old age....do I ever think----What If ?....of course I do......What if I'd waited to spay/neuter until the bones finished growing and joints finished forming while the hormones were still flowing....would that have made a difference in how severe the arthritis symptoms were later in life.....possibly so....moving forward I'll wait later in the dogs life...but I can't feel bad- nore should you for doing what most vets did and still do recommend

OP moving forward IMO when it comes to certain procedures...vaccinations how many and how often etc. it's a good idea to do your own research and come to a conclusion that you're comfortable with--sometimes there may be multiple options after a diagnosis but a vet clinic may only offer one...as pet owners we need to be our dog's advocate and their best friend...

You're doing the right thing by hiring a GSD trainer now and not waiting hoping issues will simply go away...keep us posted on how things go training wise and don't torment yourself over things you can't change like an early neuter...he'll be fine...I can tell by your post you love and care your dog.....as I said before he's a really handsome guy and you're lucky to have him....but much more than that he's very very lucky to have you
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:28 PM

I had a male rottweiler that I had neutered young. He came to me with an unknown genetic background. And then he was a parvo survivor. He did not grow into a big muscular dog and who can say which factor contributed most to that. He was healthy and lived to be 12. He developed some arthritis but xrays showed his hips were good. He broke a leg in December so we let him go because he was NOT a good patient. He had become pretty nervy over vets and medical aftercare over the years.

In recent reading I have been doing (in preparation of bringing home a second dog to mesh with the current intact male GSD) there is a lot of evidence that neutering can lead to fear and aggression issues. I just learned over the years what pushed his buttons that way, and we worked around and took precautions and he never seriously offered to bite anyone during exams but we muzzled anyway which increased his distress. He was a happy loving boy in any other environment and didnt mind other people but he took awhile relaxing in new situations. He would glue himself to me until he felt comfy. He was never a very confident animal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page