Hi everyone - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Hi everyone

I don’t actually own a GSD anymore. I currently have 2 goldens. I had a small girl named Jenna up until 9 years ago. She was 10 years old and had an aggressive form of cancer. The real reason I’m here is I have some questions about your breed, specifically herding behavior.

How would a GSD react to an animal that it decided was out of line? Would it snarl and growl? What if the target animal was a golden retriever? How would you react if your dog did this? I’m trying to figure out how to interpret what happened. Can you point me in the right direction of some reliable herding behavior resources? The golden perceived it as an act of aggression. The dog was called a “Shiloh” but from what I’ve read I felt this community could possibly help me.

Please don’t take this the wrong way. I love GSDs.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Abeille is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:29 PM
Knighted Member
 
tim_s_adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeille View Post
I donít actually own a GSD anymore. I currently have 2 goldens. I had a small girl named Jenna up until 9 years ago. She was 10 years old and had an aggressive form of cancer. The real reason Iím here is I have some questions about your breed, specifically herding behavior.

How would a GSD react to an animal that it decided was out of line? Would it snarl and growl? What if the target animal was a golden retriever? How would you react if your dog did this? Iím trying to figure out how to interpret what happened. Can you point me in the right direction of some reliable herding behavior resources? The golden perceived it as an act of aggression. The dog was called a ďShilohĒ but from what Iíve read I felt this community could possibly help me.

Please donít take this the wrong way. I love GSDs.
Let me start by pointing out that a Shiloh Sheperd is not anything like a German shepherd! At least from what I've seen of them.

That being said, my GSD does frequently growl and snarl at other dogs without meaning harm...GSDs are a vocal breed. And without knowing more specifically what happened between your Golden and the Shiloh Sheperd, it would be impossible to even guess if it was okay or aggressive.

Can you give more details? What led you to believe it was aggressive? Did your Golden and the Shiloh fight?
Femfa likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
tim_s_adams is online now  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Let me start by pointing out that a Shiloh Sheperd is not anything like a German shepherd! At least from what I've seen of them.

That being said, my GSD does frequently growl and snarl at other dogs without meaning harm...GSDs are a vocal breed. And without knowing more specifically what happened between your Golden and the Shiloh Sheperd, it would be impossible to even guess if it was okay or aggressive.

Can you give more details? What led you to believe it was aggressive? Did your Golden and the Shiloh fight?
Sure. Golden and owner training utility jumps at the dog club. The Shiloh was in the next ring doing Freestyle. Shiloh runs up to the ring gate. Stops for a second or two, then came through the gate at the golden. The golden tried to get away and got a bite on the butt and another on the back of the neck. (No punctures) Once contact was made, the growling and snarling began. Of course there was some screaming from the golden. It didnít stop until golden defended himself. Golden released his anal glands, peed, and trembled terribly. Obviously scared and felt attacked. All of those being completely out of character.. Luckily, he has an amazing temperament and heís recovering well.
Abeille is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Let me start by pointing out that a Shiloh Sheperd is not anything like a German shepherd! At least from what I've seen of them.

That being said, my GSD does frequently growl and snarl at other dogs without meaning harm...GSDs are a vocal breed. And without knowing more specifically what happened between your Golden and the Shiloh Sheperd, it would be impossible to even guess if it was okay or aggressive.

Can you give more details? What led you to believe it was aggressive? Did your Golden and the Shiloh fight?
I read an article somewhere that basically said that Shilohs are oversized GSDís and later a couple of other breeds were mixed in. Iím sorry.....could have been a bad article. Anyway, Iíll explain better.

At the dog club. Golden is 21 months old. Shiloh is older, over 6 I believe. Both male. Golden is intact, donít know about Shiloh. No toys, no food. Iím Working my golden on utility jumps. Shiloh is in the other ring in a Freestyle class. I saw the Shiloh come up to the ring gate, pause, and charged through. My golden perceived danger immediately and tried to get away. He was bitten on the butt and neck.(no punctures). When contact began, so did the growling and snarling. Screaming from the golden too. Shiloh did not stop until golden defended himself. Golden was terrified. Released anal glands, peed, and trembled. All out of character for him. Luckily, my golden has an amazing temperament and is recovering well. Iím trying to keep all dogs who come to the club safe by educating myself on it.
Abeille is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeille View Post
........
How would a GSD react to an animal that it decided was out of line? Would it snarl and growl? What if the target animal was a golden retriever? How would you react if your dog did this? I’m trying to figure out how to interpret what happened. Can you point me in the right direction of some reliable herding behavior resources? The golden perceived it as an act of aggression....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeille View Post
....
Shiloh runs up to the ring gate. Stops for a second or two, then came through the gate at the golden. The golden tried to get away and got a bite on the butt and another on the back of the neck. (No punctures) Once contact was made, the growling and snarling began....
Dog charges, bites, growls and snarls.. Yes, this sounds like aggression. How did the dog act afterwards? Did the owner drag it away?
Max Rockatansky is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:02 PM
Master Member
 
Femfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 800
It depends on the dog in terms of why it behaved that way, being part of the herding group doesn't mean too much when it comes to GSDs. Was your Golden staring at the Shiloh the entire time and making constant eye contact as the Shiloh came over? Were you playing or making lots of praise for your dog during the training? Or was the Golden doing its own thing and you were merely both standing there?

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Femfa is online now  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
Dog charges, bites, growls and snarls.. Yes, this sounds like aggression. How did the dog act afterwards? Did the owner drag it away?
She drug it away and shoved it in its crate. It backed as soon as the golden defended itself. I did watch some GSD and Shiloh herding videos and the dogs never acted that way towards the herding target. Sorry....I donít know herding terms.
Abeille is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Femfa View Post
It depends on the dog in terms of why it behaved that way, being part of the herding group doesn't mean too much when it comes to GSDs. Was your Golden staring at the Shiloh the entire time and making constant eye contact as the Shiloh came over? Were you playing or making lots of praise for your dog during the training? Or was the Golden doing its own thing and you were merely both standing there?
I walked him back to set him up. He did trot to the grooming table where his dumbbell was sitting Its in a corner of the ring With 2 walls, thereís an entry door in the other ring. He wasnít behaving like a fool (I donít tolerate it) I had put him in a sit stay facing away from the other ring. I turned to check on him when the Shiloh ran to the gate, paused, and charged through. I feel like after the initial bite on the butt, the herding behavior ended. Of course, at this point it was fight or flight for the golden and he chose flight so no, he was too busy trying to avoid it to be staring. The Shiloh was not right next to the gates so I donít feel that we were invading his space.
Abeille is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Guys I read more about Shilohs. Iím really sorry I made that comparison! You are right, they arenít the same. Is it like goldendoodles to the golden folks? I want to be able to state a case that is beneficial to my club. As one of the most active members, I want everyone, including the Shiloh, to be safe.
Abeille is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:11 PM
Crowned Member
 
Sabis mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeille View Post
Guys I read more about Shilohs. Iím really sorry I made that comparison! You are right, they arenít the same. Is it like goldendoodles to the golden folks? I want to be able to state a case that is beneficial to my club. As one of the most active members, I want everyone, including the Shiloh, to be safe.
Most of the Shilohs I have had interactions with had iffy temperaments, ranging from Cujo to a door stop.

That said, the behavior you describe is aggressive and should not be taken lightly or allowed. It has little or nothing to do with herding behavior as you describe it, and while GSD's are a bit notorious for being fun police the actions that you describe sound more like stalking and hunting behavior.
Sabis mom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome