New Neighbors with GSD - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
The children's safety and your piece of mind come first. I would put up a fence.
I thought I posted but I think it ate my post. I was going to say I really echo this comment. I have two children both under age 4. They and my 6m old GSD puppy get along wonderfully. Having said that, you must trust your instincts. No one can ever really predict how someone else's dog will react in any given situation, even the dog's owner. I would def install a fence as well - who knows, maybe after talking with them they would be willing to split the cost!
Deb and HolyFriedFish like this.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Master Member

My brother's GSD lives with kids and likes kids, which is the reason he goes berserk when there are kids in his sight. To most people it would seem dangerous and aggressive, but it isn't, he just wants to be included. A fence is a good idea whether or not the dog is a danger, because kids sometimes wonder off, chase after things, and you never know what might wonder onto the yard while they are playing.

GSDs are an aggressive breed, but generally speaking they have a good sense of what is and is not a threat, but that is not always the case. We may have the same breed as your neighbor but we can't account for that dog's temperament or actions, a fence would be a good safety precaution.
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
2016 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

The dog is reactive toward your children. Heck yes build a childproof fence just for your own peace of mind. GSD are the third most killingest breed after rottweilers and pitbulls and their crosses.
The 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds

Lets be honest about this. Our dogs can seriously hurt people. It is normal for a human mother to be protective of her children. A GSD, their own GSD, killed a baby in this area a few weeks ago. Although last year, 22 people were killed by pit bulls and only 2 were killed by GSDs.
Dogsbite.org is quite biased, for what it's worth. I would be concerned about the reliability and validity of those data.

At any rate, with respect to reactivity, that does not always equal aggression. I don't think of reactivity as a GOOD thing, because I prize calm, but the dog could be aroused without being aggressive. I certainly do share your concern that the owner doesn't seem to be worried; I would be worried if my dog reacted to people that way, and I'm surprised he isn't. I agree that a fence is a potential good step for the OP.
Mudypoz likes this.

Last edited by WateryTart; 04-04-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Crowned Member

The neighbors have already shown that they are not responsible dog owners. They also are not in control of the dog as it lunges at you and your kids on leash. Why in the world would it be safe to have your kids meet that dog? To appease the neighbors and their dog? Will it be safer then when the dog is unsupervised without a fence? An out of control, bored and unsupervised GSD and running and squealing kids......Guess what can happen?
Dog is likely contained with an electric fence and it explains his response to your family; see the family, want to go over, shock. Learning that your family makes him hurt. Dog: I hate people who make me hurt.
Situation requires communication and a solid 5 ft fence. If communication doesn't work, I woud call Animal Control.
BTW: poodles are generally nice family dogs. Not everyone prefers the GSD.
Chip18 and Nurse Bishop like this.
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Master Member

Fatalities have NOTHING to do with the likeliness of attack. Smaller breeds are far more likely to attack, the difference is they cause less harm. Not that they aren't still a huge risk, if you look at the dog attack fatalities on Wiki there's several small breeds on there, even a Pomeranian.

<deleted>

But dogsbite.org is very unreliable, they have a very obvious agenda and it's run by a traumatized person who went through a dog attack therefor wants all supposed dangerous dogs to suffer for it. They put their personal opinion where it doesn't belong.
Mudypoz likes this.

Last edited by gsdsar; 04-04-2017 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Non allowed topic
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
The neighbors have already shown that they are not responsible dog owners. They also are not in control of the dog as it lunges at you and your kids on leash. Why in the world would it be safe to have your kids meet that dog? To appease the neighbors and their dog? Will it be safer then when the dog is unsupervised without a fence? An out of control, bored and unsupervised GSD and running and squealing kids......Guess what can happen?
Dog is likely contained with an electric fence and it explains his response to your family; see the family, want to go over, shock. Learning that your family makes him hurt. Dog: I hate people who make me hurt.
Situation requires communication and a solid 5 ft fence. If communication doesn't work, I woud call Animal Control.
BTW: poodles are generally nice family dogs. Not everyone prefers the GSD.
Poodles bite! Poodles bite kids. I probably still have scars on my ankles from that black one that would bite me twice a week, every day I delivered their paper. Nasty little dogs. LOL. But yeah, lots of people like them. And cockers -- now there is another bitey dog.

I would definitely talk to the neighbor first and go from there. I like to keep neighbors happy if at all possible. But yes, if there is no response and the dog makes it difficult to walk your children, then a call to animal control of whatever variety you have, is in order.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Poodles bite! Poodles bite kids. I probably still have scars on my ankles from that black one that would bite me twice a week, every day I delivered their paper. Nasty little dogs. LOL. But yeah, lots of people like them. And cockers -- now there is another bitey dog.

I would definitely talk to the neighbor first and go from there. I like to keep neighbors happy if at all possible. But yes, if there is no response and the dog makes it difficult to walk your children, then a call to animal control of whatever variety you have, is in order.
So far I have been attacked by a poodle, mini Aussie and a Rottie, which one did the most damage? That one's easy, but the rottie was the only one who was provoked. I was a child in her personal space, went to kiss her head and she didn't know me very well and it was a threatening move. The others I was walking away and they saw an opportunity, different incidents they bit my legs and ran away. No remorse from them, whereas the Rottie instantly looked horrified and tried to lick me after she bit me, she was a neighbors dog and never attempted to bite me after that and was very sweet, the poodle and mini aussie were always after me. All these dogs were of my neighbors, bad owners, abusive to the Rottie and neglected the small dogs.

Draco bit me too, but I wasn't his target, I got my arm in the way of a dog fight. I wouldn't call that an attack because he wasn't going after me. It ended the fight, both dogs looked in total shock of what happened LOL
Chip18 likes this.
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
I would be worried if my dog reacted to people that way, and I'm surprised he isn't. I agree that a fence is a potential good step for the OP.
Yep ... pretty much the part in bold. None of us know ... if that particular dog is a threat or not ... but any dog acting as described, towards children is cause for concern in my book. ANd for any of my dogs ... it would not be acceptable towards people in general and certainly not towards kids??!
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Poodles bite! Poodles bite kids. .
This was in reference to Llombardo's comment that "getting a poodle was at least a start..."
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Wow, what can i say, but thank you for all the thoughts. I think i've learned (and confirmed my suspicion) that no matter how well trained, they should not leave a GSD unleashed and unsupervised in the backyard. The neighbors seem to keep to themselves, so i'm not sure what I'd encounter, but the GSD definitely doesn't have an electric collar; our other neighbors have those, so I kinda know what they look like.

As I mentioned, I'm most worried about my 3 yr old randomly running over there. She's never done it yet, but 3 yr olds are so unpredictable and she's somewhat used to the collies next door. I tried to sit her down and explain the difference but I got a response of "I'll wear my jacket to protect me"..... maybe shock collar or leash for the kiddo is in order

I think I'll at least start the process of getting the survey done for a fence and maybe it will stir up conversation. Yea, i'm anticipating at least 8-10k for this fence; sucks, but I think we were leaning toward getting one when we purchased our home a few years ago. It will be interesting what the GSD does if there's a full amish crew putting up 220-feet of 6' wooden fence!
Deb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page