Lost beloved Gunter in Oct, maybe new dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Lost beloved Gunter in Oct, maybe new dog?

Hi, I'm in Marietta, Ga. and lost my 8yo rescue dog Gunter to cancer of liver that had spread to spleen! Don't know how common this is, especially at such a young age? It had spread before I he showed any signs, and had no time to prepare as I found out same day that I had to make horrible decision to put him to sleep!

Thinking I may be getting closer to getting another dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Knighted Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.
I lost my beloved Loki in 2007 to a splenic mass that ruptured. It was quick, not slow deterioration with age. He was 12 1/2 years old. There wasn't any outward signs with him. He just collasped one day. I just had him at the vets about a month before for bloodwork and exam.
I will always miss him. He was my first GSD and was a gentle old soul that taught me a lot about life.

I lasted two weeks; my house was too quiet, too large (I live in a small cottage) and the pattern of avoiding a large dog was too much.
I went from a gentle old soul (Jerry Garcia in a dog suit) to the whirling dervish, flying monkey fruitbat. Alice is such a different dog that I can't even play the comparision games and she's teaching me different things about life.

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Gunny GSD & Zoey the Weasel
Sean M. Walsh K-9 Memorial Fund
our goal is to help police agencies establish and maintain a canine team in memory of Sean
Sean's Dogs.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Crowned Member

Only you know when the time is right. So sorry about Gunter.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

I'm very sorry about your boy. I also lost a beloved dog suddenly and unexpectedly and for me the right thing was to get a puppy sooner rather than later. I searched for the right breeder and ended up bringing Kopper home 7 months after losing Cashdog. Your heart will tell you when it is time to start looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Master Member

So sorry for your loss. Everyone is different. It took me about a year before I could get another dog. Then when I started thinking about another one, a friend had a girl gsd that needed rehoming. I took her and she is the best girl in the world. You will know when the time is right.

Belinda
Rusti EAC, TN-N, TG-O, WV-N, NCC, NJC, CGC, GSD Diva
Jerry Lee AXP, MJP, OAC, TN-N, WV-N, NCC, NJC, SPJ, UAG1
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Our dog passed away December 15th, and we are getting a new puppy in June. Our dog had a quickly progressing brain tumor.

sorry for your loss
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Elite Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. Nothing can replace the one you lost. As others say, it's up to you to know when you are ready. I do know, however, that sometimes the grief makes us think we want another; but we really just want that one back. If you're still going through the grieving process, I would wait until that is complete (if I were you). It takes longer for some of us than others...

Angela_______________________________
Danny (husband) ~ Samantha (daughter) ~
Rocco (GSD)
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Crowned Member

sorry for your loss and welcome to the forums

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page