Game endurance - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Game endurance

Aloha. How do I teach greater persistence/tracking when playing games such as "find it". I hide balls or items from Rasa and if she doesn't find it within 3-4 minutes, she gives up and comes back to me for a new toy/ball. (she know I have a stash of them and some in my wheelchair basket, that she will help herself to as if it was the "right ball").
I was thinking about going out for exercise and taking only ONE ball and if it gets lost and Rasa figures out I do not have a stash, she will be more dedicated to finding the first one.
What do you think?
frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Game endurance

That's what I would do--don't give her an option. And that's funny that she gives up. The other day Rafi lost his ball in 2 feet of snow. I didn't feel like looking for it so I went and got another one for him. He completely rejected the substitute ball and spent the next 15 minutes burrowing in and shoveling out snow until he found the original ball. But I have had some dogs who will not quit until they found the original object and others who just give up and go do something else.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Aloha, I just spoiled her by having an arsenal of balls. She loves to fetch with the chuck-it for 5-6 throws, then wants to lay and chew the ball or drops it and lets me "almost" grab it and then beats me to it. **(believe me, even though I am in a wheelchair it is highly competitive and almost a wrestle for the "loose ball"). (But she will leave it if I get tough enough). But I figure fun is fun and that is what she likes to do. I get another ball and throw it, but after retrieving it she always comes back to the original ball and rejects the new ball.

** Rasa's note, my master is 59 years old so I have to give him a workout too.!!

Franks note. Reading the above, I must be a GSD person as no-one in their right mind would undederstand the above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Aloha, Ruth. that was pretty much it. Just now, before going on ball throwing walkies, I showed Rasa that I had no balls with me. Then we went in a ball finding mission around the office and established that we were taking one and only ONE ball. She retrieved and found the ball every time and sat and "leaved" it and did not even try to look in my stash. She is just Stubborn!

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page