Rasa's Gold Stars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Rasa's Gold Stars

Aloha, here is Rasa's goals and achievements for the last month since I bailed her out of the Humane Society on 11-21-08:

1: Today it was potty on command. 3 stars (will have to be reinforced)
2: Right and Left when walking 2 stars (a little iffy)
3: "10 feet". when walking she walks ahead by no more than 10 feet. she looks back at me every 5 seconds or so to confirm. 4 stars
4: I OK her barking, then good girl her and then tell her quiet and good girl again. Stops barking until another big event, mostly fireworks.
5: all the commands that she already knew, sit, lets go, go lay down, etc. she is improving by herself as she trusts me more.
6: Will not break from me as much when another dog approaches. Improving this on her own. 2 stars
7: "leash", she comes and sits down to be put on a leash, 3 stars

Almost all the walks are without leash, but when on a leash, she Heels automatically.

I have really done no official training sessions as I think Rasa has a lot of stuff she is learning and adapting to me. Almost no treat rewards, only "Good Girl" and no scolding. (I only set-up good situations so I can good girl her). So far, she is picking up no bad habits. thanks for all your advice here.
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 AM

Re: Rasa's Gold Stars

Seems like she's picking up quick! Keep up the good work! She's lucky to have you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Crowned Member

Frank,

It sounds like Rasa is doing well and I want to commend you for the work that you are doing with her! She sounds like she's very smart and you are finding lots of things for her to do and also teaching her lots of new things! It's great that you are so patient and are setting her up for success.

I do use treats to reward my dogs, especially my new dogs, and then intermittently reward and then fade the reward. It has worked really well. The biggest reward for Rafi though is his ball.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Aloha, just as an interesting aside on the importance of bonding and trust. Yesterday Rasa was digging and she started to eat whatever it was she was pawing at. I told her to stop and she did and I moved away and she went back and started to eat again. I gave a more stern voice and this happened another time again. Later she started to bark and when it got dark I was stern again to "QUIET". (normally I good girl her barking and say "bark" then a few seconds later I "quiet now" and good girl her). So things were a bit negative and I reached out to pet her and she everso slightly pulled away out of mistrust. So I started a real fun ball and stick and "find it" game and all then became back to normal. Point is I think that this bonding is so very important to establish and I was lucky to get Rasa when I did as business was slow and with holidays I was able to be alone with her and no employees. 24/7 (taking vacation, etc). I sure don't see how some people on this board expect to get a dog and spend 1/2 hour a day and maybe a walk 2-3 times a week and expect to have a well rounded pet.
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page