Get my dog to use the outside dog house - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Get my dog to use the outside dog house

My dog is outside most of the day in a nice size backyard. If it is too hot, cold or rainy we usually bring him inside. Bear in mind that we live in Houston, so it is never too cold. I have purchased a dog house so that he can take cover if for one reason or another we cannot bring him in. However, he does not use it and prefers to lay by the back door as he did before.

I have started feeding him in the dog house and throw treats there for him to go in. He goes in without a problem but would not stay in.

Do you have any suggestion? How long does it take for them to figure out that it is a good thing.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 08:07 PM

Re: Get my dog to use the outside dog house

It might be really hard for your dog to figure out that an outside dog house is a good thing if he's outside "most of the day." German shepherds are very, very people oriented and he's going to want to be with your family, in the house. Being right by the back door sounds like he's trying to be as close as he possibly can to you guys.

Would you be able to bring him in the house? When the family is there, you can watch him, and when they aren't, if you don't trust your dog to be out, you can crate-train him.

MH & Charlie the GSD (he just turned 1!)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Knighted Member

Are you messing with me?

Maybe if you put AC in it.

No, really, sorry, I got nothing.

Is the dog supervised?

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Daisy1986No, really, sorry, I got nothing.
I'm punchy tonight too. Seriously though, there were 4 GSDs in the house I grew up in. For 30 years, was a pretty nice big dog house in the back yard, right next to the swingset, the sandpile and the pool. Never saw any of the dogs go in it. We used to say the only time you see a german shepherd in a dog house is on Hogan's Heros.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 PM

My dog goes to work with my husband everyday and spends part of that time in an outdoor kennel with an attached doghouse. We cut out part of the fence so the doghouse is on the outside. This to prevent her from climbing up on it and maybe get hurt on the fence. She didn't like her doghouse at first but gradually started going in it for which I am glad. If I am at work and DH is out on a delivery- at least I know that Ruby will be under a roof if it starts to drizzle. DH will bring her back to the house if it is raining or snowing. We also have a big sheet of plywood in the kennel so she can get off the dirt if she wants. We had mulch down but haven't replaced it lately. She keeps pretty clean.

Try putting a old rug in the doghouse- to see if your dog will lie on it because it's soft. My husband used to throw hay in the doghouse for our husky when we had him years ago (same setup- different doghouse).

Good Luck!

Lorraine
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SunCzarina
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Daisy1986No, really, sorry, I got nothing.
I'm punchy tonight too. Seriously though, there were 4 GSDs in the house I grew up in. For 30 years, was a pretty nice big dog house in the back yard, right next to the swingset, the sandpile and the pool. Never saw any of the dogs go in it. We used to say the only time you see a german shepherd in a dog house is on Hogan's Heros.
My dad built a big 5x5 (5' tall) dog house for our dog. It even had real shingle roofing on it. The dog loved it but ONLY when my sisters and I went in there and played house in it. Otherwise, nothing. He never used the thing. In San Diego, in the summer, he'd lie under the oleander bushes in trenches in the soil he dug to stay cool, or we'd splash him from the pool.

In the winter (which normally aren't very cold), he'd lie on his bed on our huge front porch (nice and dry) to greet us as we came home from school (Mom ran the furnace entirely too hot for him to want to be in the house.) Then we'd play in the rain til Mom called us all in.

My parents had numerous GSDs (and an aussie) after that. None of them ever used that dog house.

Last year, my parents got their first dog after the wildfires burned down their home (and the dog house). I and asked Dad if he would build the puppy a dog house.

He told me .

But their young dog does not have a dog house. She hangs out in the air conditioned (or heated) house with Mom; plays outside with Mom, or hangs outside with Dad when he's doing yardwork, then returns to the house.

Dog house. Sorry. I'm not seeing it. Can you store yard work equipment in there?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Elite Member

We have a law here that there must be protection if a dog is outside so we have 2 doghouses in our yard even though we don't leave the dogs out. So saying, sometimes we do leave them out while we answer the phone, use the washroom or if a particularly nice day we may fall asleep in the hammock. Anyway we do follow the law and in winter I dig out the doors and in over 30 years no Belgian or Shepherd has used one except in chase or keep away game with another. They do go in them if chased.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom I and asked Dad if he would build the puppy a dog house.

He told me .
Sounds like my dad - who wasted several weekends builting the lovely house for their first GSD Princess.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Knighted Member

This is not for your 4 month old puppy is it??

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...page=0&fpart=1

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Daisy1986, That is good memory. Except that the dog is 1 year old.

It seems that I should give up on the dog house. I will continue to try and maybe he will figure it out. The area where he normally lays down is covered already. I thought the dog house would be a little bit more den like.

To answer some of the other questions or comments; regardless of whether we are at the house or not, the dog stays by that door so it is not necessarily an issue of trying to be closer at any given moment. The dog is not supervised outside if we are not in the house; however, the yard is fenced and does not border public areas such as streets or roads. He spends a fair amount of time with us when we are in the house, walking or other activities. He also spends the evenings inside.
Unfortunately, we work and kids attend school, so the dog cannot be with us most of the day. Contrary to some of the beliefs in this boards, I do not think it is healthy to leave a dog crated or inside a house while we are away. First, there are more dangers in a house than in the yard; second why confine them when they can be outside running, chasing unreachable squirrels or doing whatever they want.
Thanks for the comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page