JRT LLW with a clicker - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

JRT LLW with a clicker

I'm training Sandy with a clicker for things I don't want to add a cue too. Like things I except at all times (EI: Focus, LLW, ect) I did that same with Maze with no problems.

BUT! I think Sandy is reaching a point with LLW training where she's pushing the extreme to try and get me to move.

Basically our walks/training go as such: We start out, Sandy on my left. She's allowed to forge ahead ( haven't started Heeling yet) but when she's pulling, I stop and wait til she takes a step back then I click and move forward. I don't use food since she shows no interest in it while out side so I'm using the enviroment as her reward. I've only been doing this for a couple weeks. I started in the beginning by clicking when ever she stopped and looked at me then we moved up to her taking a step back. My end goal is to have her walking LLW on my left.

Now my concern is when I stop and wait, I don't talk, move or do anything until she makes the movement towards me. Sandy will run, lunge, pull and finally sit and whine trying to get me to move. In the end she takes the steps towards me and we move forward. I'll get a great LLW for about 5 - 10 steps and then it starts all over.

Am I doing the right thing by waiting her out when she throws a fit? I think the longest I've waited is 5 minutes before she came back. I just want to know if I'm doing this right. Maze caught on pretty quick when by our selves so I didn't have to wait to long.. I made the mistake with Maze by not proofing it. My fault I know so now I'm fixing it. Lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The most powerful feeling is the knowing you belong, and you are right were you should be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Crowned Member

Re: JRT LLW with a clicker

Terriers can be very stubborn/tenacious so it may take longer for her. It may also help to try a different method if she does not seem to be improving (by improving I mean you are able to walk without her pulling for longer, or she throws a fit for less time the more you work on it.)

What I did with my terrier seemed to work well for us. If I tried stopping (be a tree method) he would just get frustrated and pull more. He did not appreciate being made to stand still. I also tried changing directions when he pulled but he didn't really care.
What worked for us was backing up when he pulled. Basically we would start walking, and if there was any pressure on the leash (if it was taut) I would briskly begin to walk backwards. At first he'd keep trying to pull. I did not jerk the leash or make any noise/movements except to move backwards, and as soon as there was slack on the leash I would begin to walk forwards again. At first I was walking backwards for a fairly long distance and doing so pretty often on the walk (we didn't walk very far in the beginning.) Then he began to realize that if he pulled towards whatever he wanted, he ended up getting further away from it instead because I backed up... He began to stop pulling more quickly when I started backing up and pulling less often. It took some time but it worked, I was able to back up just a step or two before he stopped pulling and I only had to do it a few times on a walk, then our walks got longer and finally I was not having to back up at all.
I based this on a clicker training technique called "penalty yards" but I didn't use a clicker and the reward was my moving forward. If you want to add a clicker and reward you can, or if you want to try the original method you can read about it here:
http://www.clickertraining.biz/nopull.htm

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Re: JRT LLW with a clicker

Sweet! thanks! I glanced at that "penalty yards" the other night but wasn't sure if it worked or not.

I'll have to try that tomorrow when I take her for the walks.

The most powerful feeling is the knowing you belong, and you are right were you should be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page