Mouthing at one and half years old - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Mouthing at one and half years old

My 'puppy' is still mouthing and this past week it seems to be getting a bit harder. I have tried growling, yelping, grabbing her mouth and saying no, and she just keeps on, she'll even sometimes snap in my face, although she hasn't got me yet. She isn't so much as biting but it's way too much. I have even lunged on top of her, to show her who is boss!
Please give me some advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Mouthing at one and half years old

Cash is two years old and still mouthing. Unfortunately my husband thinks it's cute and encourages him. He'll probably mouth until he's old and gray now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

Knight is 2 years old and still mouths, I don't know how to break him of it either short of spraying my arm with the bitter spray, he don't hurt but all that slopper...lol

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Elite Member

Annie does it too sometimes when shes super excited, she doesnt hurt but it is a bad habit. she's 2 yrs 7 mths old.

Jessica
Annie- 3 yo GSD
Beowulf- 1 yo GSD
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 06:06 AM
DnP
Elite Member

When I got Phoenix he was 1 1/2 and was extremely mouthy. I mean EXTREMELY mouthy. We had determined that was how he communicted since he did not bark. Anyhow, the trainer I took him to advised me to put something else in his mouth, referring to his "appropriate chew toys, when he would start mouthing. (requiring me to carry one around at all times or strategically placing them around the house) After a time, she instructed me to say a loud NO and then turn my back to him when I could anticipate the behavior (and it's really easy to anticipate when he did it all the time). Well, it's been a year later, and it's working. He still tends to mouth when he's REALLY excited, but with constant work, it's lessening every day. He no longer mouths everyone he sees (saving it only for me). But, it takes TONS of patience and dedication to work on the behavior.

Diana

Bentley - the light that brought me out of the darkness

RIP Phoenix, Brightstar Rescue, 2006 - 5/6/2017
RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Crowned Member

Nina, either that "lunging" move has scared her or she'll think you're playing a game, so I'd stop that right away unless you do want it to become a game. When Renji and I wrestle, he does mouth and we do play rough but that's the only time he can mouth and if he gets too rough, I yelp, give him a "how dare you, that hurt" look, and walk away. I rarely have to do that because if he wants the game to continue, he must mind himself. I also toss in obedience; if I see him getting too rough, yelling "no no no" is just going to make me sound like a whiny puppy. I tell him to "down" and then we redirect into an indoor game of fetch. How much physical exercise and MENTAL exercise (training) is your dog getting per day? We can spend an hour of hard fetch and training at the park each day and my dog will still pester us in the evening, pushing toys in our laps, so some dogs really do need a lot of energy-busting.

Anyway, make sure she gets more than enough exercise. Whatever she is getting now, triple it. Then if she starts mouthing, IGNORE HER. If you were petting her and she starts to mouth, then dorp everything and pretend she no longer exists, that she's no more than a fiber on your carpet. She might continue to pester you, but remember that she's used to bugging you for a response. At one point, she is going to give up and walk away, wondering why you don't think she exists. Continue to ignore her, then at YOUR will, call her over to do some fun obedience. If the mouthing resumes, repeat. Dogs HATE being ignored, that's one thing they learn quickly from, so if you no longer acknowledge her existence when she starts to mouth, that behavior should stop fairly quickly. Just make sure she's getting TONS of exercise, the mental exercise being most important!

DnP's advice is also very good! Keep lots of appropriate chew toys around! I notice that when Renji is feeling mouthy, he'll take the initiative and stuff a kong in his mouth before returning to play rough with us. It saves us from a good chew!

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DnP After a time, she instructed me to say a loud NO and then turn my back to him when I could anticipate the behavior (and it's really easy to anticipate when he did it all the time).
Wolfie is very mouthy -- especially with my husband. The strategy of turning your back on him doesn't quite work as he tends to nip your butt instead. Had a work dinner last night, came home to Wolfie enthusiastically greeting me and DH exasperatedly saying "Thank God you're home. WWIII is breaking out and he's winning."

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy

Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

My pup is the same, in as much as I ignore her and she'll bite my arm or leg. I say bite but she is just tugging me, but mouthing I know is a no no. Thanks for the encouragement!!!!! But at least I know that she could be doing this for a while yet, my other GS I had never did this, but then my children are are different too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Knighted Member

My husband does the same thing.

My pup is only 5 months old and I'm working so hard on her mouthing. She is not that bad, but still nippy at times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page