just not getting the message - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

just not getting the message

We are fostering a 1 yo male black Lab mix who is a real sweetheart. He came to us with very few issues (none with aggression) and just needed some socializing, housetraining, etc.

Our male GSD is having a hard time with another male being in the house. Jaga is tense, postures a LOT around the new dog (tail up, ears up, tense muscles and low growl) and has even "attacked" (no blood, but a lot of loud growling, squealing and pinning to the ground) him once or twice, even when I am supervising. Jaga is neutered, the foster is not.

How can we teach Jaga that we do not want him to be aggressive toward other male dogs? We have tried telling him "no" and giving him treats when the foster is around to create a positive association. Still, he's not happy with another male dog around. I am wanting to foster for the local humane society (this one is for a friend) but Jaga's aggressiveness toward other males is really giving me second thoughts.

Is this behavior something that we can change? Or is it genetic? I am really at a loss as to how to communicate to Jaga that other males aren't a threat.

~Emily~

Bella — 4 year old black Lab mix
Jaga — 4 year old GSD, CGC, TDI
Hollandia vom Landholz (Holly) — 2 year old GSD, CGC, NNDDA SAR (land cadaver)
Oliver — crazy cat
Jake — ball python
and the fishies

Kodak, 3 year old Chihuahua/terrier mix, RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Crowned Member

Re: just not getting the message

I would suggest only fostering females and maybe neutered males. Some males just will not tolerate intact males and Jaga clearly sees the foster as a threat. For now, I think you'll have to do the separation game. You can also try control exercises like enforcing down-stays while the two are in the same room, but I think it would be safest and most fair to ALL parties to only foster females and do neutered males on a case-by-case basis.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Diana. Some dogs just will NOT tolerate others of the same sex (and some won't tolerate other dogs of EITHER sex.) And no amount to work on your part will change their mind. Especially since it looks like you have 2 females in the home also.

I would also be carefull telling him(Jaga) "no" for behaving negatively towards the other male. What this could do is teach him not to growl and posture and go straight to attacking him. Jaga could understand you saying "no" to mean not to growl and posture, rather than seeing it to mean not to go after him at all. (Does that make sense?)

It could also be that the intact male is throwing off "dominant
or "disrespectfull" signals to Jaga. (Especailly since he is still a pup.)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

I think that you guys are right on. Even when we are all relaxing together, Jaga is never fully at ease. He seems tense and nervous and keeps getting up to check on the foster. It's clear to me that after we re-home him I'm going to have to limit my fostering to smaller, neutered males and non-dominant females. Thanks for the input!

~Emily~

Bella — 4 year old black Lab mix
Jaga — 4 year old GSD, CGC, TDI
Hollandia vom Landholz (Holly) — 2 year old GSD, CGC, NNDDA SAR (land cadaver)
Oliver — crazy cat
Jake — ball python
and the fishies

Kodak, 3 year old Chihuahua/terrier mix, RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page