Working on recall - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Working on recall

I have been working on Rango's recall while we are on our walks. It goes something like this.

We work on our leash manners (getting pretty good) on the walk to our play area. Once we get there (couple hundred undeveloped acres of woods and farm land) then I let him off the leash so he can run and sniff a bit, just be a dog in general. After I let him off lead I will wait till he gets a bit away and call him back. He comes at a run, sits and then gets his treat.

So far its going good. HOWEVER sometimes he will be sniffing something and he is slow to leave it and come back.

Is the solution to keep him on a check line so I can correct him when he doesnt leave the object right away or is this something that will get better a his recall gets better??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:38 AM

Re: Working on recall

I was taught never to take my dog off leash until he was fully trained in recall. So my advice would be to keep him on a check line at all times to correct him until he's completely trained in recall.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

How long have you had Rango? Since he's an adult rescue you'll need to work more on bonding before he'll be reliable off leash.

Remember to start small - work on on-leash recalls of no more than 4 feet while inside your house. Then do the same thing out in your yard. Then do the same thing in his 'play area'.

When training the recall you want to work on reliability under distraction (proofing) before you add distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Hes been here about 2 or 3 weeks now.

When we are out playing I have no fear of him running away. He never goes far and he makes SURE he knows where I am at. I tend to just keep walking and he wont let me get more then 50 feet or so away.

The recall in the house and such is great. I will keep using the check line when we are out. Its just a huge PITA since it gets all snarled up in the weeds and woods and such.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday I called him when he was about 50 feet or so away and he took off over a small hill. I was thinking "Hmmm where is he going". Before I could even finish the thought he came FLYING up from the other direction. Guy took a diferent route to get back then he did to get there so he could avoid a clump of scrub brush he had gone through.

Smart little guy!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RhoadesYesterday I called him when he was about 50 feet or so away and he took off over a small hill. I was thinking "Hmmm where is he going". Before I could even finish the thought he came FLYING up from the other direction. Guy took a diferent route to get back then he did to get there so he could avoid a clump of scrub brush he had gone through.

Smart little guy!
sometimes tyson will wonder towards the corn feild behind my house i call him back and he looks at me and blows me off, totally makes me mad, but then i realize he's sniffing to take a dump away from the yard . he does his business and cuts back towards me as fast as he can and looks at me like "sorry dad, i had to take a dump"

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page