Horse and Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Horse and Dog

How do you teach your dog not to go in the riding ring when riding your horse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Horse and Dog

Does he have a "stay" command? Can you tether him? Leave him in a stall? Problem being you have NO physical control to "train" anything when you are on a horse (big moving prey animal!!). An older dog with a stay should stay...but you may be on that horse an hour, and a long time to expect a dog who is new to horses to stay.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

He is a 9 month old pup. I do have to put him in my horse's stall sometimes, especially when other people are in the ring. I don't so much mind him in the ring when it's just me. I have told him to stay and he will for about a few seconds and then he comes on in and when you're mounted on a horse it's hard to keep getting off to make him understand. He also thinks it's a game chasing the horse. I guess I'll just have to keep him in the stall when I'm riding in the ring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 PM

I would attach him to something somewhere you would like him to stay where he can watch you. You could even put him on a mat and teach him to go to it and stay there whether you are at home, the barn, etc. That way its movable. He will figure it out after a while and he'll get that that's his spot when you're riding. My instructor does this sort of thing with her aussie puppy. He now pretty much sleeps under "her" chair either in the indoor or out in the gazebo by the outside arena; and she gives lessons and clinics on and off for eight to ten hours a day. Some of those she is riding and some she is in the chair teaching. Now, even when she leaves for a bit, he just chills in his spot.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try that. He seems a little hard headed at times, maybe because he's still a puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page