Stubborn dog or me? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Stubborn dog or me?

Aloha, for my 4yr F PB GSD from the Humane Society 11-21-08 Sometimes she will totally ignore commands, and ignore her name and will give absolutely no recognition to me. Sometimes she is on top of the commands and does them in a flash (so there is no excuse that she does not know them). Am I being manipulated, "I will let you be the master when I feel like it!". What am I doing wrong?

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 02:59 AM

Re: Stubborn dog or me?

it takes about a month to develop a bond and gain a dogs trust. most rescue organizations recommend laying off actual commands in the beginning and just focusing on building the relationship (respect, trust, etc) and establishing roles. so i would pretend as if i were starting from scratch with a puppy. give her the command to "sit" and when she doesnt do it, dont be quick to correct her, but rather show her, reward her, then move on. don't press the issue.

it will also help if you begin hand feeding her. any and every thing she eats - have it come from your hands. i did this for 20 days with my last rescued pup.

also a week is a short period of time to expect her to know her name. even if its the name she's had all along, she's mostly responding to your voice at this point, a person she doesnt really know yet. so if there is nothing (evident) in it for her, whats the incentive for listening?

do you know anything about her previous home / life / training / history?

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 AM
dOg
Elite Member

I hope Aloha is her name, not you giving up in so short a time.

Patience First, then Consistence and Persistence.

Agree with others a bond must exist first. It will take a month for her to feel her needs will be met and a trust to develop. Find a toy that she'll work for. That's your toy, her prey item. It goes away/up when you are done with short play/training periods. Jazz her up with it, playing. Then ask for her to do a command, and reward her with it and more playing/tugging.

It's gonna take some time. You don't know what she's been thru, and
she may simply not be used to healthy good attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:17 AM

Kenya does the SAME thing lol i adopted her a month ago, and still sometimes she is deaf. i renamed her completely, which is another reason why this happened lol shes just getting used to the name. so for now, when i call her name, she gets some kind of reward when she comes no matter what.

also, i know its hard because its so frustrating. but when you call him and he doesnt come, and ur forced to run over or chase him, you really cant correct him. coming to you should ALWAYS be fun so he will always do it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Crowned Member

I think Aloha is a Hi greeting.

adas, rescue dogs come with baggage some good some bad. Give her some time to get to know you. Maybe she had bad experiences in her previous home, maybe it was a great home and for some reason (they moved, etc) she ended up in the HS and feels that she can't trust people right now. It is a good sign that she is obeying, just reward the good and right now ignore the bad. You need to let her know that obeying is a very rewarding thing for her.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

Adas, I think it would be very beneficial for the both of you to sign up for obedience classes. Classes will work WONDERS. Just give her time, remember she is settling in and getting to know you and your routine. You probably won't see her TRUE personality for a few weeks or, in some cases, a few months. Take it easy, give her time to trust you and remember that you also need time to trust HER.

But do sign up for classes! She will say mahalo for them.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page