Leave it - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Leave it

How have you taught your GSD to ''leave it''. I've read about many techniques (baiting your backyard, biscuit at the paws etc) but I'm interested to know what works best for our GSDs. It's about time Pebbles learnt this command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Leave it

Here's how I do it. I place a treat on the floor, put the dog on leash and walk them up towards it. I stop when the dog is about a foot or so away from it and then just wait. Usually the dog pulls towards the treat - I just stand there.

The INSTANT the dogs attention turns towards me I yell "YES!!" and give them a treat from my hand and then we walk away.

Keep repeating this - sometimes moving or changing the treat.

Once the dog is looking at me the moment they see the treat I say "Good Leave It!!". That's how I get the command in there.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Elite Member

How i did it with Khya was to put a treat ( or a toy) on the floor and stay close to it, when she went for it, I would cover it with my hand and tell her NO Leave It! When she moved away i praised her enthusiastically moving my hand to reveal the treat again.

I just repeated this a few times until i could move away and she would focus on me, waiting until i told her to Get It!

That's worked for all my dogs to date.

Good luck.

Wendy

Proud Mom to

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-9yr old GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-5 yr old GSD
1 Teenager
& 2 Bratty Cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Working on this 1 with all 3. I feel they all got it if I have them in a sit or down, drop something saying *LEAVE IT* & if they don't go after it, I praise & give a treat. I then pick up the item dropped.

Now it's learning how to tell them ALL to *LEAVE IT* & NOT chase the deers, rabbits, etc ! Not sure on this one...........

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:51 PM

I taught the "Leave it" command the same way Wendy did.

It's amazing how quickly dogs learn this command.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 PM

I taught Charlie "leave it" with his meals - I get his food ready and make him sit first, then I put the food down and say "leave it." I don't give him the release command until he is focused on me, not the food. We do this twice a day and it helped him learn it really fast! At first, when he would start to go for the food before I'd told him "go get it," I'd just grab his bowl quickly and we'd start over. He learned this very quickly and it has definitely transferred over to other things - when we play catch or frisbee, when I ask him to leave his toys, etc.

I'm definitely still working on "drop it" when he finds a random sock, though...

MH & Charlie the GSD (he just turned 1!)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

I don't let them have the object on the floor after I've told them Leave It. If I want them to actually have it I will pick it up and hand it to them.

That way they never get confused about whether or not they are allowed to pick it up off the floor and it always comes from ME.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Knighted Member

With our Fidelco fosters, we present a closed fist with a treat inside and say "Leave it."
When they show signs of backing off ( a sit, or a downward thrust of the nose, we mark it with "Good!!"
We transfer the leave it command to tabels, chairs, then floors. We'll place the object in place and keep a closed fist directly over it, while commanding "leave it"
We also teach "take it" ,which is a very nice counter reward. If the dog has performed several nice "leave it" commands with the fist closed, we'll turn our fists over and offer the treat on our palms, while saying "take it".
This command also helps our dogs learn to pick up objects their handlers may not be able too.

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned

how old is Pebbles? i taught leave by placing a treat on the floor. with my dog on a leash we walked to the treat. i let my dog get his nose really close to the treat. when his nose or mouth was close to the treat i pulled him away from the treat while saying leave it. after he caught on to leave it while being on the leash i did it off the leash. i gave him lots of praise and pets when he left the treat.

for off the leash leave it i had my dog sit and stay. i would show him the treat. then i walked away and placed the treat on the floor. then i would tell my dog to get it. when he ran to the treat i would say no, leave it. when he left the treat i would praise him.

leave it really comes in handy. there's always something you want them to leave alone.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 PM

We've taught the "leave it" command in a similar fashion...dropping a treat on the floor and telling the dog leave it, with the praise and reward coming when they ignore what's on the floor and make eye contact with us. We'll then follow up with a "take it" command and give them a treat from our hands.

Once they've mastered the "leave it/take it" command at home, we take it out on the road. On walks, we'll toss a treat a few feet ahead of the dog and say "leave it"....we'll walk by, wait for the eye contact, then praise with "take it" and give them a treat.

After that, we'll work with diversions other than food - kids running, cats walking by, etc. Same drill...."leave it"....wait for eye contact and reward with "take it" and a treat.

Ica-GSD (1999-2008)
Lobo-GSD (1991-1998)
Cagney-Dobie (1990-1997)

"In dog training, jerk is a noun, not a verb."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page