Stay off the couches? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Stay off the couches?

It's driving me nuts! He will get in one armchair and sleep there all night. I'm glad he's comfy, and I'd have no problem with it if the chair didn't get so dusty, hairy and drooly. I took off the cover and ran it through the wash and while it was out of commission last night, he stretched out on the coch. We tell him "off" when we catch him, but when I leave in the car, I can see him in the dining room through the window, curled up in the arm chair, watching me drive off.

I'm SO tempted to place a walkie talkie next to the couch and tell him "off" when he thinks I've just left in the car...the neighbors may find me a little wacko, but at least my furniture won't be ruined.

Please help!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 AM

Re: Stay off the couches?

does he have a nice alternative to the couch?

for years Gia didnt dare get on the couch if i was home... however when i returned in the evenings, although she'd be on her bed or at the door to greet me, sure enough there would also be a warm spot on the couch.

the easiest way for me since i could never catch her in the act was to put a blanket over the spot that she liked the best... teach her that that was her blanket... then i moved the blanket to her bed and when i'd leave i'd put books or a chair on the couch. i dont remember how long i did that, but i just stopped having the problem after while.

with tilden it was easy... he didnt get on the couch because she didnt.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Hi Cam,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Maxx has a bed, which I presume he loves. He's had several in his 6 years of life.

I did put a box in the chair for a while, but I'd like to not have to do that.

The blanket idea is a really good one. I'll have to try that! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Elite Member

i think the added bonus to the blanket idea is that it will keep your chair from getting ratty, too! much easier to clean than the seat cover!

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Elite Member

DOGS stay on the floor with their own bed......
You are creating a monster LOL HAHHA
I know a lot will disagree but I feel that is part of Jack's training not to be on human furniture.... He has a great lamb bed for his crate and when he is not in there he sleeps on the floor..
Just the way I feel

KATHY
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 AM

When I first got Sam, he would try out the different chairs & couchs..."off" became a regular thing that first week. Then I picked up this great quilt thing at BJ's (quilted on one side, fleece on the other) and we put it on one of the arm chairs...and the rest is history. He has not touched any of the other furniture in 3 yrs. (he has free run of the house, when were gone...and has never gotten up on anything

A dog wags its tail with its heart.

Sam-GSD from NSR Tig (RB Angel 7/05) Kasey (RB Angel 2/01)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Crowned Member

I got scat mats rom Petsmart
and they work (when I turn them on)
Brady is only allowed on the couch if I an on it and there is a blanket on it for him to lay on

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Count BrunoDOGS stay on the floor with their own bed......
You are creating a monster LOL HAHHA
Not neccessarily. Dogs CAN be on the furniture and not have problems. It's up to the owner to decide if they want THEIR dogs on the couch/bed.

If you do not want them on the couch the only 100% foolproof way to do that is not to allow them access to the couch.

The problem with training to train a dog not to get on the couch is that the first time you aren't there and they get on - they have just won the game.

We bought leather couches specifically because the dogs get up on them. Much easier to keep clean and they warrantied against pet damage!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

As for Maxx, I would like him to understand that being on the furniture is absolutely against the rules unless he is invited on the couch. I want to set up that boundary. This goes for when I am not at home as well.

I know he thinks he's being clever...if only he knew that the quarter inch of black hair piled on the couch is his smoking gun!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangWe bought leather couches specifically because the dogs get up on them. Much easier to keep clean and they warrantied against pet damage!
I have leather everywhere! It makes clean up so much easier in the house and cars. So... who makes these super cool pet damage proof couches!?! Thanks!

Oh, and my dogs live on the couches... sorry I can't help!
My first GSD didn't get on the couch when I was home. She always had a busted look if I was quick enough to catch her

Cara
Here's my train of thought, you can follow it if you want.

~ GSD, born 2-9-2008
Lucky~ Golden Retriever, 2.5 years old
Mr. Monk~ Taunting Tabby Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page