Help with chasing problems - New member questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Help with chasing problems - New member questions

Hello, I am new to the board, and fairly new to being a GSD owner. I am in need of some serious advice. I got my pup when he was 4 months old and immediately began obedience training with him. He is proficient at sit, stay, heel, down. He is a mild mannered, very sweet, loving dog, he is almost a year old now. My problem is that he is very hard headed and smart at the same time. I can teach him over and over and he consistently goes back to the same unwanted behavior. He stops when I say a firm "no", but will go back to the behavior over and over again, sometimes within the next 10 mins. His most pressing problem is his high herding drive. (yes, I know this is a herding breed) We live on a 30 acre farmstead and have horses. He has been properly introduced to the horses and taught to be submissive to them - he never acts agressively in any manner towards them, but lately I have a sneaking suspiscion that he is chasing them when we are not around. He gets exercised regularly and alot of attention. But while we are gone to work he is outside with his toys. (we live in the middle of nowhere) My questions are these:

1. With this breed should he be kenneled ie. in a kennel run with adequate shelter, etc?. Or does kenneling and/or tying them up cause aggressive tendencies or make them a so called ticking time bomb?

2. Once these dogs start to chase and get that 'chase high', can they ever be 'untrained' and trusted not to do it again, or might I just start looking for a suitable home for him now?

Please, I am looking for honest help. We love our dog, but are unsure as to go about handling his issues before they get really out of control and he chases the horses through the fence. He also is focusing his energies towards the barn kitties. Is kenneling inhumane to this breed due to their sensitiveness, and high energy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Help with chasing problems - New member questi

Can you leave him inside when you are gone? I realize that you live in the middle of nowhere and I myself have left my dog outside in this type of situation but I discovered that she was actually happier to be left inside and it was definitely safer for her. If you can't leave him inside when you are gone then building him an outdoor kennel is definitely the best choice.

As for retraining your dog--yes, it's absolutely possible to counter condition that behavior.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Help with chasing problems - New member questions

Can't he be INSIDE when you aren't home?

If not then I would DEFINITELY get a large kennel for him.

Loose dog + no human = TROUBLE or even death
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Help with chasing problems - New member questi

Thank you for your reply! I just want to know that if I do leave him kenneled it will not change his nature. I know nothing is guaranteed, but just want to make sure that I am taking the right steps with this particular breed.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangCan't he be INSIDE when you aren't home?

If not then I would DEFINITELY get a large kennel for him.

Loose dog + no human = TROUBLE or even death
Thank you for your input. I came to the right place for help. I will set about getting him a large enough kennel to suit his needs. I am just trying to do right by him. I was raised on the farm and all of our dogs were never kenneled, I've never quite run into this problem before. So thank you for the reassurance.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
dOg
Elite Member

Tying him up, staking him, may make him aggressive, may not.
A kennel, run, even a crate, will not.
I agree with others if you are gone, leaving him to his own devices is not a good idea, for him, your horses, or your barn cats.
If he's good inside, that's where I'd be leaving him.

My $.02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned

you don't want your dog running around loose when you're not home. it doesn't matter where you live. the kennel is a great idea. even in the kennel you don't want to leave your dog unattended all day long. have someone come in and check on him. get a trainer to help with the chase problem. if you feel you're not responsible dog owners definitely find him a good home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page