Ringing Bell To Go Outside/Potty - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110
Ringing Bell To Go Outside/Potty

Titan is almost 15 weeks (tomorow) and he's been getting pretty good with potty training. We've been using the word "Outside" tell him "good outside" when he goes, etc. To go outside, we move a gate that blocks the downstairs, and then they walk downstairs, into the laundry/boiler room and out the bulkhead. Well lately, I've been just catching Titan sitting by the gate, and I'll ask him "Want to go outside?" And he'll get up and start going downstairs. Or sometimes I'll catch him trying to sneak by the gate and down the stairs. But there have been a few times I haven't caught him in time and he tinkles right there. I was thinking (although DH laughed at me) that we should put a bell (like a Christmas bell that you put on the door) by the gate so that we can teach him to ring it when he wants to go outside. Anyone ever do something similar to this? TIA!

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Ringing Bell To Go Outside/Potty

ah...good luck...actually one of those bells that you push the top down on might work???

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 PM

i used to have those bells. my dogs knew what it means
"Bell= human opens door or takes us for walk"
so they soon figured out that the bell was not JUSt for when they had to go potty, but when they were bored, wanted attentions, wanted a walk, and of course when we had guests because people got a KICK out of it and would give them treats.

the bell was ringing about 100000 times a day before i got rid of it lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 PM

it was a paw shaped one made especially for dogs made a really annoying high pitched sound and if they kept their paw on it, it wouldnt just go "ding" it would go "DINNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GG" which they soon discovered was more effective

my friend uses jingle bells tied to the doorknob and shes had great sucess with it. its not so..invasive lol
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 PM

I have a Christmas jingle bell that hangs on a rope for Sophie to ring when she wants to go out. She's been doing this since she was 11 weeks old. Everytime she has to go out, whether to use the bathroom or just to sunbathe, she lifts it with her nose and lets it hit the door and waits patiently for one of us to let her out... LOL The darn cat does it now too :-) I taught her how to do it with her paw first. I'd put her paw to the bell and ring it, then say "outside" and give her a treat for touching the bell. It tood two days for her to get the idea, and I'd reward with a lot of praise a treat everytime....The bell idea works well :-)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 AM

Hi,

I have had my foster for about 2 weeks now, and we are doing the bell thing. I actually got two bells, (Target, dollar bins) and hung them on the back door.

When it's time to take her out, we go to the door...I take her nose and push the bells....give her a treat and open the door.

She did it herself today, caught me off guard. I ran to the door, with a treat, told her she was wonderful and opened the door.

Now I am trying to get her to "speak", to open the door to get back inside. This one will take a bit longer.

Good luck with the bell.

Kathy
Bear - 1996-2008 - RIP big dog
Ruby - NSR foster
Nena - NSR foster
Bruno - NSR foster
Blitz - NSR foster
Glory - SCR foster
Leibe - SSR foster
Lessie - CPR foster
Reno - CPR foster
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 01:44 AM
Crowned Member

Bells are a great way to teach a dog to let you know when they need to go outside.

When we first got Abby, we used a bell at the front door and worked on teaching her she needed to touch the bell if she had to go outside. We used the bear bell that came with her dog pack since we had it at hand, but you can use any kind of bell - the dollar stores usually have them, especially around this time of year.

We pretty much used the same method Kathy (kasbn) is talking about. We would touch her nose to the bell, then praise her for being a good girl and while letting her outside. We did not use treats, as we viewed the door opening as a "life reward" in itself.

We have not used the bell method in some time because we do have a pretty consistent routine, and she doesn't usually need to go out between the times we go normally.

However, I've recently been asked to test a door chime for dogs that fills the same function, and to write about how to train a dog to ring the chime when s/he needs to go. The chime consists of two parts, a plastic paw-shaped button that you can mount on the wall or lay on the floor, and a wireless chime that you can set anywhere or mount to your wall. (There's an optional door button for people who want to use it as their regular door chime.) The chime has the option of barking or meowing, not a "ring" sound. Being my own sarcastic self, I set ours to meow, so Abby now meows if she needs to go out.

To teach her to use it, I placed it at the door and asked her to "touch" (she knows this command, it means touching something with her paw). This got her to pawing at it, which set off the chime, which immediately opened the door.

It's been about two weeks and she runs to it herself and pushes it to be let out. She has not yet used it at a time other than her normal scheduled going out times, though, although I don't doubt that she will/would if she really needs to go.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 AM

Tucker learned to use the bells at 10 weeks, only took a couple of times before he learned to do it. DH also thought I was crazy, until he saw it in action. Tucker rings the bell to go potty or just wants to be outside. His newest trick, he rings the bell to remind us that he needs fresh water. If the bell ringing doesn't bring the proper response from us, he really shakes it to get his point across.

Penny
Tucker, DOB: 6/5/08
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Fransheskai used to have those bells. my dogs knew what it means
"Bell= human opens door or takes us for walk"
so they soon figured out that the bell was not JUSt for when they had to go potty, but when they were bored, wanted attentions, wanted a walk, and of course when we had guests because people got a KICK out of it and would give them treats.

the bell was ringing about 100000 times a day before i got rid of it lol
Yup!!! I had one of these too! Got rid of the bell really quick! It was easier to teach her how to open the door herself! (which she eventually did!)

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Crowned Member

My dogs are not barkers and I taught them to ring the bells. Although smart dogs do learn that bell ringing will get them outside for anything, it is very easy to redirect.

Mine quickly learned I will accept bell ring for water or out to 'go.' Since I know how often they need to go, it is easy to tell them 'not this time' if it's for fun and games.

I have used the bells for 6 years now and they help tremedously - if I am up in the loft and can't see the dogs, I still can hear the bells.

My bells were a total cost of $1.50 for jingle bells and leather shoe laces.

Bonnie

-

-

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page