Help with 2 training issues (Long) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Help with 2 training issues (Long)

Hi Everyone,
Here are 2 issues I have been struggling with. I need some guidence on the best method to train

1) We crate all 7 dogs when we leave the house ( All diff breeds as listed on my signature). When we come home and let them out of the crates mayhem breaks loose. This has been going on for a very long time. We let them out always in the same order with the little guys being last so they dont get hurt. But the Shephards (1 male and 2 female) go crazy and get all dominant. It is worse with me rather than my husband.
They run in and out of the room barking and getting in each others face as if they are jockeying for me if that makes sence. However they dont attack each other or bite, it is more noise and hovering over each other. I try to corral them down the stairs and I have to hold on so I dont fall. They run up and down the stairs and continue this until they get into the back yard.
Then they all run and do their own potty thing and are calmed down as soon as they get outside. ( Oh, and they jump up on the screen door until I open it. When I demand they sit, they will after a few commands but wont hold the command)

I had formal training with the male but not on this. I am sure this is my fault as with any bad behaviors it happens because the owner does not correct it. I guess I just feel overwhelmed when it happens and I just have always wanted to just rush to get them in the yard.

<u>[b]<span style="color: #000000">2nd Issue:[/</span>b]</u>
We have 2 female GSD. Addison is 1.4 years old and Lilly is 9 months. When we brought Lilly into the house the struggle for Alpha began. They wont attack each to hurt each other however they constantly rough house. They make noises that I have never heard before, they sound like bears, and get VERY loud and very vocal. When I reprimand and break it up they just go back to it. I have no pack leader recognition when this happens, It is like they have a mind of their own. Same with my husband. (Now the male shepherd is fine and does not join in)
I am sure one reason for this is probablly have pent up energy as they need to be walked more which is our fault that needs to be corrected. A tired dog will chill out more.
When we go to bed they sleep with us in the room and we don't have a problem. It is pretty much up until bedtime on and off...

Help!

Melissa....Mom to

Harley-GSD
Beemer-Pineapple Conure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Elite Member

Re: Help with 2 training issues (Long)

For issue number one, do you do NILIF (Nothing in life is free) and how much exercise does each dog get? (Especially the shepherds and larger dogs) How long are they crated?

For issue number 2, it does sound like they don't respect you as the pack leader. I would do some heavy duty NILIF for all dogs, and especially hand feed the two female GSDs. They get one handful for each command done successfully. If they don't do the command, they don't eat. The next meal, I am sure they will listen. One or two meals missed won't hurt them.

That said, some female GSDs just don't get along. Most females will fight to the death. Sometimes, females can get along, and then one day they want to kill each other. So, be prepared to rotate them if you must. But try NILIF first, and more exercise, not only physically, but mentally. GSDs especially have to have mental and physical stimulation, otherwise you will have problems.

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: melissaw140
I am sure one reason for this is probablly have pent up energy as they need to be walked more which is our fault that needs to be corrected. A tired dog will chill out more.
You've said it yourself...pent up energy. When its time to come out of the kennel, its very very exciting. So, unless they all know they are to wait camly, you will have mayhem. Sounds like you've got a routine down. Not the routine you necessarily want to have...but routine nonetheless. I wonder if you released a couple at a time (using NILIF) separate them by putting them in a different room or outside; then release some more if that might make a difference. You have got to change the routine somehow to change the behavior.

You do know that walking is not enough to release that pent up energy right? They need to run, play, chase, fetch, get mentally stimulated to get properly exercised.

My two young GSDs play hard and they too make the craziest noises, especially my female. They are both just vocal, but some of the things that come out of that body sounds like a big bear or a lion sometimes.

Asserting your leadership is key though, especially with a pack your size. If the two that are playing to rough ignore you, you've got some work to do.

~~ Barbara ~~
Proudly owned by:
Heidi Vom Vinahaus, German Shepherd - DOB 1/2/07
R&B's Pistol Packin Buddy, Labrador Retriever - DOB 2/17/99
Lil' Bruder, German Shepherd - Rescued 9/30/08 - DOB Wild Guess 11/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replys. maybe I will let out a few & get them outside and go back for the rest., This way they will not all be in one close area and me having to fight my way through.
It's time to kick it up and really work with the females. The crate issue is really my worst.
My husband mentioned to maybe train them to come out and get a treat if they listen but I think if I bring treats into the mix, that along with getting them out of the crate is too much excitement.

They are crated only maybe 2-4 hours through out the day as I work out of the house and it is when I have to leave to run errands. But I can crate them for 10 minutes while I do something quick and you would think they were stuck in there for 10 hours!!

Melissa....Mom to

Harley-GSD
Beemer-Pineapple Conure
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: melissaw140

They are crated only maybe 2-4 hours through out the day as I work out of the house and it is when I have to leave to run errands. But I can crate them for 10 minutes while I do something quick and you would think they were stuck in there for 10 hours!!
But what are you doing to tire them out? I have two female GSDs...ages 2 and 7. They get along famously as long as I am a strong leader. If I lax, then I can see them start to grump at each other. Nothing serious, but not at all tolerated because I don't want it to escalate.

They also know what is expected of them...no questions about how they should behave with each other and just in general. Both are well trained in terms of obedience and "house" behavior.

Three things for my pack:
Rough housing is absolutely not allowed in the house
No guarding toys or they become mine
Grace is not allowed to herd Kira when they are running their legs off in the yard...she likes to bite Kira on the butt and this caused their one and only fight, quite honestly because Grace hurt Kira.

Each gets independent training time with me - 5 days a week for at least 15 minutes apiece...strictly maintenance work and took a lot more time during the teaching phase of things. Daily, they get walked together or have a run in the yard a few times a day...even these are training times. When we walk, we practice heeling, stop and automatic sit, turns, etc. In the yard, we practice recalls, long stays, etc. Plus I have a jumps and weaves agility set up that we do in the yard...and we go to the park every Sunday.

Re: the crating situation...my girls can be crazy to go outside first thing in the morning cause they gotta GO! I usually let Grace out first (she is not crated) and then I get Kira out of her crate. I only let her out if she is patiently waiting, which she does. They both must sit to get out before I'll open the door. When they come in, I have a baby gate that they must sit at first before I will let them in the house. Again...nothing happens if they don't sit and they learned very quickly just automatically sit.

Sounds like more leadership is necessary, along with more physical and mental stimulation...Good luck!!

Melissa & the Girls
*Grace, 7 yo GSD*
*Kira, 3 yo GSD*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page