Off leash heeling - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Off leash heeling

I am taking a two year old GSD to Obedience trials and he is really good at home off leash and anywhere else off lead, but in the ring he gets distracting and lags. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Off leash heeling

I read a post awhile back where one handler had to give the dog a correction in the ring which did make a difference for the future. The judge of course DQ'd the team but I think the judge affirmed to the handler that s/he did the right thing. I can't remember if the post was here or not but if so, I hope they will post about the experience again.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

THANKS, I GUESS IF I THINK HE IS GOING TO BLOW IT THAT WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO. AT LEAST I GET SOME BENEFIT OUT OF THE CLASS EVEN IF HE BLOWS IT. I ALWAYS LOOK FOR A POSITIVE IN EVERY SITUATION.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Knighted Member

Switching to training mode when DQ'd at a trial is always an option and I've done it also. ANother option - I would try to get into a couple of fun matches and workshops where you can work your dog under a trial atmosphere which is entirely different than working at home or even in a class where the dog is familiar with the settings and other dogs attending.

It is not unusual for dogs to act/perform differently at a trial with the different (and new) distractions so it is benficial to give them that exposure beforehand if possible.

My plan for Lancer is similar. When I and the trainer thinks he is ready we will do fun matches for a bit before actually trialing for the first time.

Another possible reason for the lagging. How are you feeling when you go into that ring? A little tense or apprehensive? If you have any nervousness, the dog will sense it and possibly mirror some of it. So look at how you are portraying yourself when in the ring as opposed to working at home or in class.

Good Luck and have fun.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Crowned Member

Do you have any show-n-go's in your area? The one's I've been to are set up like a trial but you can use food or use mild corrections when/if needed?

A majority of the training facilities in my area have them like once or twice a month..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. I WILL TRY AND FIND A FUN MATCH AND GO THAT ROUTE!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member

Watch your posture. I know in the ring I am nervous so I tend to hunch in a bit, my left shoulder can lean back slightly b/c I'm slightly gazing back and down to make sure the dog is there. This posture seems to make the dog hesitate as well and push her back. We've done rally and were switching to obedience, but changed gears to SchH obedience instead. That style is working better for both of us! We're focusing on attitude and confidence (BOTH of us) right now because without that I don't think the precision matters. I've seen some really precise dogs in the AKC ring but they look so checked out I can't even stand to watch it. Even though it's not SchH I still like to see a dog that is "up" and flashy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page