teaching boundries - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

teaching boundries

My husband and I work at a transmission shop where we are blessed with being able to bring both of our dogs to work (his parents own the shop, they bring their puppy too)... Posi has been going to work with my hubby for over a year now and is leashed so that she can be right next to him. Anyway, through the grapevine, I heard that lots of shops around here have "shop dogs" and they are trained to stay within the boundries of the shop. With our little Clutch and Czar getting to big to be in the office with my mother in law and I, it would be nice to be able to let all three shepherds be free as long as they stay within reasonable parameters. All of the dogs are trained to not eat transmission fluid or anything that can make them sick but how would you train them to stay inside when it's pretty much open to the outside? My Posi likes to roam and is not one to just stay close. Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

Re: teaching boundries

I would work on getting a really good recall, anytime the pup goes near the door a "ahah" and the come command. I have used this method in getting my pup to stay away from my back fence where there is another dog.

Anytime he went near to fence I called him back, her figured out soon enough to stay away.

I would personally worry about the "wander" you have and only because someone will need to keep a close eye on the dogs until they learn. I would also worry about distractions outside the shop such as other dogs/animals that may wander by.

Is there a lot of traffic near by?

Proud Owner to

Stella 5 year old GSD/Collie
Echo 4.5 year old GSD/Rottie
Cyrus 4 year old GSD
Quinn 2 year old Yellow head parrot
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Re: teaching boundries

There is a semi busy street out in front a little ways. I know Posi (the wanderer) would probably wander far enough out to possibly get into trouble so we will probably always have to keep an eye on her. Do you think it possible to even teach a wanderer to stay close? I like your idea of using the recall when they get too close to the edge, thank you!!!

Posi

Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page