when to begin - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

when to begin

At what age (and how) do you teach a dog to come back in the house with you. Inside the house Harley comes when you call him. I have been using treats and it is working great...except in the yard. I take him out and play with him a few times each day, then I let him have some time to run and explore the fenced in yard. But everytime I want to end the play time and go back inside, I end up chasing him (the booger is fast). I was using treats in the yard to get him to come over, then I would grab him before he dashed away. I don't want to keep doing that because I think he will associate "come" with being grabbed and stopped from fun. He started being hesitant when he gets closer to the treat. Harley is 3 months old. What could I do at this age to get him to come inside with me, without tricking him or carrying him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: when to begin

When you are outside, bring all the treats.

Call him to you, give him a treat, and LET HIM GO PLAY.

A few minutes later, call him to you, give him a treat and let him go play.

A few minutes later, call him to you, give him a treat and let him go play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alot of time running AWAY from a puppy (then give a treat when he catches up) makes it all more fun and a game to come TO you. (rather than the chase game that has you after him).

I always also treat each and every time we go back into the house. I make it very exciting to come to me (treat), very exciting to go in the door (treat) and a blast to them run to the treat jar (treat treat).

You are right you do NOT want to 'call and grab' cause that will make your puppy head shy and avoiding you.

Here's some more info:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/teach...n-command.html

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/vie...ome-to-you.htm

http://www.dog-obedience-training-re...ning-come.html

If you can add the clicker, this will go even faster!
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/309

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Crowned Member

My pup is almost 5 months. It's been about a month or 6 weeks since he started coming inside just because I said so. Before that, I would shake his treat can to get him to come in.

I usually whistle for my dogs to come in. The pitch doesn't get lost in road or other outside noises and it's less obnoxious to the neighbors if your dog is having it's last pee break at 11:30pm. My 7 year old female shepherd is used to coming inside with just a quick whistle and the puppy learned from her that's how it's done around here, Mom whistles and the dogs go inside.

Whisting is something you might want to try as a clean break from what you've been doing. Shake the treat can, whistle and call puppy's name. Treat him when he gets inside the door. And make it sound the thrill of your life that the puppy actually came when you called him.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

have a very long leash and when he don't come you can gently pull him to you and when he comes give a treat and praise him keep doing that and he will get the idea that come is treats and loving form mom

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Knighted Member

I like a really light long leash just for control and so I never have to chase. Stop the chase game immediately! It becomes a game in itself and can lead to big problems. While out in the yard start a different chase game, run away from puppy acting like you are having the best time in your life, when puppy comes treat and praise. Repeat few times every outing making at least one play time around the door. If puppy gets distracted during the game and wanders give small gentle tug on check leash to remind him that the game is afoot. Then make fun inside better than outside. Use favorite toy or treat and leave it inside the back door. When puppy comes in make BIG fuss and games mucho love and then after puppy inside for a little while make big puppy games inside again. He will soon learn that inside can be as fun as outside, running away gets him no reaction from you and running towards you makes much more sense.

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Lexi CGC (Cert. area search)
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
BOLO, Bloodhound CGC(trailing)
Titan, Shilo Shepherd (beginning area search)
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Lil Bear and Izzy and Louie(Pom's)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

Something I have been doing with my Crested fosters to get them to go out into the field (it's cold, they are hairless, 'nuf said ) is to toss some treats in the field every now and then. The boys now bolt for the field when I let them out.

You could do the same thing coming back in. Plant a few treats just past the door and then go out and use more treats to get him to follow you into the house.

And I mean Good treats. Great treats. AWESOME treats - like a piece of chicken or ham - not dry dog cookies. Use the same phrase (like In The House) and lead him to the door. Give him the treat at the door and then lead him into the house and let him find the treats on the floor.

You can also use one of his favorite toys. Pick one and make it the Going Into the House toy. That means he only gets to play with it while you are going into the house and then right after he gets in the house.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the tips and links. I will definitely get a long line to stop the chase game. And I like the way it is suggested to start out using the come as part of our play in the yard and then playing some other things in between. I am also going to have some more fun things for when we do get back in the house. I might even try ending the yard time by going in the backdoor and then out the front door for a small walk sometimes. Thanks again.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Knighted Member

Also always (even if the chase game has gone on for a half hour and you're more prepared to wring his blasted neck))))
ALWAYS reward and congratulate (((HOORAY_))) when he DOES listen..... never get irate ((((even if you are ))))

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 04:47 AM
Knighted Member

I taught my dogs to come in quickly by just standing at the door and tossing a handful of good treats into the house - and then whatever dog makes it in first starts gobbling up the treats, and it becomes a competition to see who can make it in. I've never had to chase a dog down in the fenced yard.

On rare occasion one of the chows will be fixated on something outside and won't hustle to the door. So I just close the door behind the dogs that did come in and then make a loud fuss over giving them COOKIES and how good the COOKIES are and how many COOKIES they're getting .. *L* .. and pretty soon the one left out is at the door going "hey, what about me???". Then I start saying "where's Khana? (it's usually Khana getting left out) I have COOKIES for Khana but I can't find her! Where IS Khana??" and she'll start barking outside the door. Then I open it and act surprised and tell her "you missed most of the cookies" but I still give her a cookie.

Next time I call them in, she's the first one in the door! *L*

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Iliamnas, I had to laugh at the image of you making a loud fuss over the cookies. Don't we do such silly things for our rascals?

I wanted to say too, that I did notice a difference in Harley already today. I made sure to bring more liver treats in the yard each time we went out. My mom and me took turns calling him to each other for treats. He loved it! I ran around the yard and got him to follow me and keep looking up at me, waiting for another reward. I was sure he would not fall for it when we headed for the door. But he was soooooo happy and stood inside the doorway waiting for his treat. Thanks to you all for the help. I really feel this is starting to work out now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page