New Ideas, and wanting tips! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

New Ideas, and wanting tips!

Okay, so I love teaching Apollo tricks. He knows over twenty commands. Some of them pertain to household behaviors, some of them are actual tricks. What I want to know is for those of you who have taught the crawl command, do you have any tips? I got Apollo to actually do it, but he only does it for a few inches and stops, that and I don't think he has put the command to the behavior. Help?

Also, I have been trying to teach him how to squeak his squeaky toy. Last night he was doing great, tonight, he has no interest in squeaking it, just kicking it (it's a ball).

I had also wanted to get him to know the names of all of his toys, how did you guys go about do this?

Obviously I am not going to teach him all of this at once, but I want to have some tips that way when I can accomplish one, I can move on to the next task.

That being said, what are some cool tricks or commands that you have taught your dog, and how did you teach it?

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 AM

Re: New Ideas, and wanting tips!

i can only offer advice on naming the toys. that was a pretty easy one for me but it did take awhile. i would just call the toys out as we were playing with that particular toy... gia responds to "go get it" and usually just looks for what i'm directing her too... so when i altered that to "go get the ball" or "go get mugsy (her bear)" she just adapted. i'd test her here and there... "go get mugsy" and she'd grab something else, then i'd say "no, get mugsy" followed by picking up mugsy and giving it to her.

its an ongoing thing - she now knows "ball" "mugsy" "toy" "other ball" "the orange one" and "cuz"

tilden on the other hand has customized my commands to mean "go get whatever gia is going after before she does since i'm faster" or he'll just keep bringing me things til i have a lap full and am satisfied.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Knighted Member

I realized Elmo knew the names of his toys when I told him to go find monkey one day. I got it a few days earlier and it was sitting on the kitchen table. I wanted to watch TV so I wanted him to leave me alone. LOL.. I was surprised when he actually got it!

After that, whenever I got a new toy, I used it's name often. He was always excited about the new toy so it made it easy. I also figured out that he liked his red cuz more than the others. So, I started calling it red. I started calling the other ones by their colors also. Then, I started saying find red, or find doggie. He loves it. He goes running around the house looking for his toys.

The other cool thing I've taught him is to dunk a basketball. I got a toddler size basketball hoop from Toys R Us. I had Elmo bring his ball close to the hoop. Then, I leaned it a little for him and told him to drop. After he figured it out, I changed the word to 'dunk'. It's so cute to watch him dunk his ball into the hoop.

Elmo only does the crawl command when I have something in front on him to crawl towards, like a treat or toy. So, I'd be interested to hear the feedback you receive about perfecting that trick. I can't seem to get Elmo to do it if nothing is in front of him to crawl towards.

Good luck with Apollo. He has to be a smart cookie if he already knows 20+ tricks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 02:47 PM

This is how I got Sam to get the paper. Just brought the morning paper in a room with her and then threw it and said get the paper. She went and got the paper and was rewarded. We did it maybe 5 or 6 times and she understood. Then threw the paper outside and had to wait at the door until I said "get the paper". Now she gets the paper for us every morning. Very nice on a cold morning. LOL
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Crowned Member

Everyone who has seen Chama in action agrees that she's a rocket scientist when it comes to learning new things. Even now, at age 13.5, she is still learning new things, even when I'm not trying to teach them to her!

For crawl I just held a treat in front of her and dragged it along the floor. I rewarded her with a treat. If you want him to crawl for a distance then I would recommend clicker training so that you can mark the behavior.

Chama's best party trick was that she knew people's names. One time I had a party and there were ten people over. She knew all of them but one. I asked her where each one was and she found them and then when I asked where the person was who she didn't know she found her!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page