Walking?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to girl213
Walking??

I did not find any old posts for this... Ruger loves to pull hard when we walk him! We thought ok we will just keep walking him and he will become use to it and stop... need less to say he hasn't. He is getting big fast and it is becomming harder to control him on walks. What do we do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Walking??

A couple of questions.
How old is Ruger now?
Do you use a corrective collar?
Is he a food motivated learner?

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Lexi CGC (Cert. area search)
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
BOLO, Bloodhound CGC(trailing)
Titan, Shilo Shepherd (beginning area search)
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Lil Bear and Izzy and Louie(Pom's)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Knighted Member

I ask because there are many ways to obtain the same result. I use different tech. depending on the dog I am working with.

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:43 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

There are great training collars and leashes that help with this. But all those work best with DOG classes!

The right leash, right collar (sized properly) and right trainer make all the difference! With the addition of the training skills we learn for the dog, and the socialization the pup gets (that we tend to REALLY mess up with on our own).

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Knighted Member

Maggieroselee is indeed correct about classes. I would find one that is held in a larger area not in the small area of pet smart ect as it sounds like you are having some control issues and the space would benifit. Also find a class with a trainer that knows large dominant breeds and not one used to just training the little guys. If this is not your first dog you can teach healing quite easily most of the time with different techniques but with the same effect. Teaching healing with distraction is where the classes really help.

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
Kibby(Rodie mix)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Crowned Member

Remember that every step forward you take while the dog pulls REWARDS him for pulling- he gets to continue going forward! Along with a corrective collar and training classes, you can stand stock still when he starts to pull, then start moving in the opposite direction. Repeat when he pulls again. You won't get very far at first but he'll soon understand that if he wants to get anywhere, it will be on YOUR terms.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Crowned Member

We watch a show on TV called "At the end of my leash". One way he gets the dog to pay attention to you while walking is to loop the leash around your waste and then when the dog starts to pull, quickly turn in another direction. Do that every time. The goal is to teach the dog you are walking him. Eventually he'll clue in and you should be able to make a turn quickly with him adjusting so that the leash never gets pulled.

I could jog, make a sudden stop, turn around and start jogging again without feeling the pull on the lease. It's an awesome feeling of accomplishment.

Of course, you praise/treat when they are doing well.

Thor & Riggs didn't really pull but kept the leash 'taunt'. 1 hour of doing this technique (individually) made a world of difference. I can walk the boys with a loose leash now.

Keeping in mind, they are 3.5 yrs old and go on walks almost everyday so to 'fine tune' them was easy.

• Thor & Riggs Brothers to the end. 24 May 2005 - 17 Jan 2017
  • Misha-9 yr Calico kitty, Mischief-9 yr tabby hellion (littermates)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Crowned Member

Renji didn't get that though I tried and tried. He's pretty stubborn and I think began to rely on the leash pop of me turning around as the signal to go the other way (and then he probably thought I was going crazy from all the funky direction changes!) He IS starting to understand with me talking to him upbeat, passing out treats when he's walking close, stopping when he's pulling, and after a session of sheepherding and learning about boundaries and what happens if he crosses mine, he is getting a lot better. Maybe I need to carry a training flag with me now.

Quote:
Quote:Keeping in mind, they are 3.5 yrs old and go on walks almost everyday so to 'fine tune' them was easy.
I think that is key. Since walking does little for Renji, we're doing everything but walking (my fault for not making a point of walking for training). Did you start the above method when they were young or as adults? I can see this method working VERY well with a puppy.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMDid you start the above method when they were young or as adults? I can see this method working VERY well with a puppy.
The leash wrapped around the waist? Just this summer.

Problem with my boys is that they always (especially Thor) have to out do one another or be faster, so I think that's the main reason for the leash tautness on walks.

• Thor & Riggs Brothers to the end. 24 May 2005 - 17 Jan 2017
  • Misha-9 yr Calico kitty, Mischief-9 yr tabby hellion (littermates)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMRemember that every step forward you take while the dog pulls REWARDS him for pulling- he gets to continue going forward! Along with a corrective collar and training classes, you can stand stock still when he starts to pull, then start moving in the opposite direction. Repeat when he pulls again. You won't get very far at first but he'll soon understand that if he wants to get anywhere, it will be on YOUR terms.
This is pretty close to what I recommend. I'd omit both the training collar (flat collar works just fine) and walking the opposite direction. Just stop. One thing to be prepared for -- your first few days or week of walking you will go for long walks over a very short distance! Remember to reward a slack leash or a return to your side (or both if you chose) - at least with "Good Dog!" if not with both the praise and a tasty treat along with Moving Forward.

If you are consistent in this, you will be amazed.

I had to chuckle a bit at my neighbor who was having a hard time walking her young lab. She said "If I have treats there's no problem." Uhhh so then carry treats! The moral here - reward your dog with something he values. And watch that you don't reward the wrong behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page