overcoming my Dog fears - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

overcoming my Dog fears

I got my GSD when she was about 8 to 9 months from my wifes co-worker boyfriend who could not give her the care that she needed. she was bought when she was about 8 to 10 weeks. at times she acts very scary but yet aggressive and very afraid of water. It really bothers me because I know what GSD's traits are and I really have plans to use her as a working dog. I want to know what I can do to help correct that problem. I want her to be able to reach her full potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Re: overcoming my Dog fears

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Does she have a fear of all water (ponds, pools, rivers, oceans, bath time, ect) or just fear of some water? (bath time, running hose pipes, ect)

Is that the only problem or does she act aggressive in other situations? If so what situations set her off? How does she react to those situations? The more details you give, the better the members can help.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

If you just got her, it will take time to adjust. Dogs can also pick up on your fear. Thor is very ppl friendly, yet barked like a mad dog at this lady for no reason. She told us she was very afraid of dogs.

Training and exercise should help you along. Enroll her in obidence class to help bond and socialize her.

• Thor & Riggs Brothers to the end. 24 May 2005 - 17 Jan 2017
  • Misha-9 yr Calico kitty, Mischief-9 yr tabby hellion (littermates)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:50 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

WELCOME!!!

I'd really start up dog classes with her. Almost any dog class initially that is a good mix of your background/experience and hers. Maybe even having a private class initially so your instructor can see the both of you.

It's amazing how much more confidence you will both (dog and handler) get with each other in the classes. As you BOTH are learning and training together.

Clicker training would be ideal... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC367wKGi4M and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15vKq...eature=related

And though I may be showing my 'girl' side, I've found most MEN refuse to go to dog classes. They just do, and when I ask them say 'I can do it myself, why pay for classes?'.

Is say cause IT'S NOT THE SAME!!!!! Good trainers have worked with MANY dogs and MANY people so have alot of tricks up their sleeves to try and help. I also know that dog training has changed immensely just in the past 14 yrs I've been doing it, and only in a better way.

So get out there, find those classes, pay the money and GO! (and go to have fun and learn!)

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page