WHAT'S WITH THE BITING - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

WHAT'S WITH THE BITING

OK Viper is almost 7 weeks and hi is biting everything what to do and how. I got him a chew toy but it still happens and VIPERS TEETH HURT shoes, toes, rugs, blankets. How long does it last................HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

Re: WHAT'S WITH THE BITING

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dame508OK Viper is almost 7 weeks and hi is biting everything what to do and how. I got him a chew toy but it still happens and VIPERS TEETH HURT shoes, toes, rugs, blankets. How long does it last................HELP
Welcome to the world of the German SHREDDER puppy! It only lasts for the first several MONTHS, or their whiole life, depending on the individual.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

play biting is a tipical puppy behavior, the have razor sharp puppy teeth and they are learning how to use them. it also might have to do with the fact that he was taken away from his mom and littermates to early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

are you serious... and I thought I was lucky..he barely cries and sleeps all night no crying drama but the biting is insane
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

well what can I do to train him or lesson the biting or atleast so he doesn't hurt you
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:30 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Quote:OK Viper is almost 7 weeks and hi is biting everything what to do and how. I got him a chew toy but it still happens and VIPERS TEETH HURT shoes, toes, rugs, blankets. How long does it last................HELP
Though it may seem like biting.

And it may hurt like biting.

And involve teeth like biting.

We have to remember we have a puppy/dog. And, to them, it's not biting. To a puppy, it's a wonderful invitation to PLAY!!!!!!

I know you had to get your puppy early, but one of the other many advantages to keeping a puppy longer with it's littermates and mom is they learn a bit of bite inhibition from them. Cause when they try to play with mom and bite too hard, she deals with it and teaches. And when they try to play with their littermates and bite too hard, they help teach bite inhibition.

That said....................... for some reason GSD puppies tend to do this 'invitation to play' thing in a very painful way for humans more than other breeds and many of us have to deal with it.

The only way is to teach a NEW way to play. Cause we want the interaction. We want the attention from them. And we want to be a fun playmate. But it can't involve the teeth. ouch ouch ouch.

So with TEACHING in mind, and the time it takes, and consistancy... we actually had to make a sticky for this on the board cause the problem comes up so frequently. Just go to:

Just click on this!!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

Probably the only thing about the puppy stage I don't miss. As everyone said, its normal and more than likely will pass.

• Thor & Riggs Brothers to the end. 24 May 2005 - 17 Jan 2017
  • Misha-9 yr Calico kitty, Mischief-9 yr tabby hellion (littermates)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:20 AM

When we first got Duke at 5 months, he would nip at our legs, feet, ankles, hands, & arms. Basically anywhere he could nip he was going to nip. I have a 4 year old and a 16 month old sons and he would even do that to them and I just couldnt/wouldnt have that!

So on a vet visit I talked to her about the nipping and biting and she told me that, that was the hurt dog in them. Of course viper is alot smaller and is just being a puppy, and Im not sure that I believe that statement anyway, she had some good advise as to when he would do the nipping.

She said when he started to nip, try and catch him before he got that far and distract him with something else (very quickly) they like the sqeeky toys best when there pups, and also try to break down into some training when he starts that along with some good ol tasty treats!

Main thing is just get his attention away from it quickly. However you can think of in that split second of nipping! I know it hurts, I had bruises all over me and so did my husband and kids! Good Luck with it...Hope it helps out somewhat...If not he will grow out of it, after all he is still a baby and has to have that baby play LOL!

Stacey

Shawn & Stacey

Duke~8 1/2 GSD~ 2007~2016 Always Near
Molly~ 3 GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

Just wait until Viper has 7 canine teeth becuase his baby teeth haven't all fallen out and the big boy teeth are coming in. And the molars... When Otto's front teeth came in, he went through a terrible biting stage, now he's brutal with the canines coming in. He has bones and a large assortment of chew toys, but I'm still his favorite chew toy.

The only thing I notice slows him down is getting him focused on his commands for 10 or 15 minutes.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:50 AM

their german shepherds , thats what the do , but don't worry , it gets better in about 6 or 7 years

Manfred

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page