Barking at every command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Barking at every command

I've run into a problem while doing obedience with Anka - she barks when a command is given to her.

For example, I tell her fuss and she barks as she snaps into position. The bark is just at the first command, and then she will continue on silently with the exercise until her release and reward. There is no whining or repetitive barking.

I know that sometimes barking can turn into whining and/or nearly constant vocalization so I decided to test her on that. I put her in a platz (she barked once as she dropped to the ground) and then I walked away - I stood perhaps 5-10 paces away from her for about 30 seconds or so, and she did not bark or whine the entire time I was away from her while she was in her platz.

The only other time she barks in obedience is when I give a command that calls for first a position and then an action. She will bark once for the command as she gets into position and she will then bark once more if I wait what she considers "too long" before starting the other action. Again, for example, if I tell her fuss, she barks and snaps into position, and if I then wait about 5 seconds before moving with her, she may give a bark.

She only barks on commands that she knows well (generally excuting them very quickly) and almost always the barking occurs when she knows her reward is a ball. So I can keep her quiet when training new behaviors and when using food as a reward (which is what I use to train most, if not all, new behaviors).

I am posting because I want to get your feedback: should I worry about this getting worse and what are your suggestions (if any) for curbing the barking?

I know that dog's age and owner/handler's goals may factor into your advice - Anka just turned 9 months old and I hope to compete with her in Schutzhund and perhaps AKC obedience (with Schutzhund being my primary venue).

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Master Member

Re: Barking at every command

Well,good luck.
I had the same problem(not all the time)with my FEMALE.
What i do is reward her when she's not barking and no reward when she does.
So,you may have to carry treats with you all the time for a while.

I do not have that problem with my MALE!!!! hint...hint!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Knighted Member

I have very vocal GSD responder.Since I do NOT compete with him and I admit kinda enjoy a talk back (as long as it is followed by response/compliance).If you are willing to spend a bunch of time and your dog does NOT ALWAYS give you a good talking -to trying to fgure out 'when-what -why'of doggy verbal abuse is occuring can give you a key to dog-human communication!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both very much for the tips.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page