Pulling on leash? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Pulling on leash?

Bodie is usually very good about sticking close to me when we're out walking and not forging ahead, but on occasion when he gets excited or sees something he's curious about, he does pull pretty hard on his leash.

I know you're supposed to stop walking as soon as he pulls, and start walking again once he stops and looks back to see what's going on or otherwise creates slack in the leash. However, Bodie has wisened up and whenever I stop walking, he just sits where he is and waits for me to start moving again. And then the pulling starts again too. Or sometimes he'll walk back to where I am and sit next to me, and then run ahead once I start walking.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Re: Pulling on leash?

If stopping doesn't work then I suggest when he starts pulling, turn around and walk the other way. Even if you're doing nothing but walking in small circles he should eventually get bored of not going anywhere.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 12:56 AM

i did that turn around thing for 1hr and he didnt lose a beat, kept on pulling, I just put up with it now until i can start training him for OB in SchH (6 more months) and be able to use a prong on him that i will most likely put on him when we go for walks when he gets to be a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Banned

How old is he now?

Prongs can work wonders for pullers. I've used them on 3 dogs (GSD, Pit Bull/Beagle mix and yes...a Pekingese/Pomeranian mix who was more stubborn than a donkey and pulled like crazy) with wonderful results. (Just make sure you know how to properly put them on and use them)

If you're not comfortable with a prong on him now, you could try a front clip harness. That way if he pulls, he'll be turned around by the leash.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Banned

Also no matter what you do, you've got to stick with it. Let him get away even once and all the other times of doing it are gone and your back where you started because he knows he can get away with it if he just keeps it up.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Elite Member

When you start SchH training chances are that for the first 2-4 months you will be doing protection work only. If possible doing some initial obedience work now for example focussing on you will help big time later on and will help in your walks too. You can use free shaping with a clicker, every time he give a fleeting glance to your eyes, click and reward. Start indoors with zero distraction, then expand to your walks, make him sit next to you and expect the glance from him, then click and reward (you can use the command, focus, look or watch me). It will help with the pulling too. If he is of prong collar age, I would start using it too but definitely read up on how to fit it properly and condition the dog to it gradually. Mark the pulling behavior with "NO" and correct.

Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for the help everyone! Bodie is around 6 months, so maybe still a bit young for a prong? I will try the changing direction thing though. Thanks again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

I have a prong. I've used the prong. But I disagree with using it for this.

If you use the prong then Bodie learns that when he is WEARING the prong he can't pull but what happens when you forget the prong?

He is learning not to pull on the prong - not 'not to pull' period.

Keep up the 'Be a Tree'. Stop moving until there is slack in the leash. That may mean it takes you an hour to walk one block. And remember to verbally reward him for the slack in the leash.

Getting to go forward is the reward for pulling. Change the trigger for the reward (NOT pulling) and you will (eventually) teach the dog that pulling doesn't get him anywhere.

When I got my Crested fosters they had NEVER been on leash. The first time I put a leash on Wally he did the Dying Fish routine (flipping and flopping around, pulling on the leash) for quite awhile. It took us almost 30 minutes to go about 10 feet!

Patience now pays off big time in the future!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 PM

I've done the change direction thing it works good. Walk into him and break his consentration.he will get the idea once he gets bumped and yanked a few times. Do you do any" watch me" commands with him? They work wonders,also "leave it" is good.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 04:56 PM

The crazy walk (changing directions) worked pretty well for me, my neighbors thought i was nuts but it was worth it. My problem is he learned he has to walk pretty well with me, but whenever my finance would take him out he would just walk forward when he pulled, also my mother who will puppy-sit for us also let him get away with pulling while they walk, its just frustrating becuz i work my butt off then everyone else un-dose my training, so one little bit of advice is everyone in your family be on the same page and everyone walk him the same way or else just don't let them walk him so you don't accidentally get your training un-done by less patience people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page