teaching out - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

teaching out

im not too sure how i havent been able to teach my pup out yet. i've worked on drop it but he gets so excited now that he wont let go. so anyway could any of u give me any of your "training techniques"

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

Re: teaching out

I would probably start with a trade. When he latches on, offer something better (or a treat!). Then as he releases, say "out" and give him the new toy or treat. You don't want to have to fight him to out and whatever you do, he MUST out when you say it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

I recommend the trade as also, that and playing a two ball game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

Two ball is AWESOME for teaching "out" as are extremely high value treats. Forget the Milkbones and store treats, break out the stinky cheese, the burger meat, the salmon, etc. Make it REALLY worth his while.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 PM
dOg
Elite Member

If you use a tug, you can hold it still. Once is it is still, the "prey" is dead, drive drops, he'll out.
Reward with praise and start it moving again, make him miss, drive goes up. Let him catch it and win the game.
It's a game, and the bite and fight is the biggest reward. Once it's still, game has to restart, so out is natural, he'll want it live again.
Once he's won it, he'll bring it back to play some more for the same reason, as it's already dead in his grip.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Master Member

I agree with dOg. This is the way I taught and we have a very reliable out.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

alright ill give it a shot

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 10:23 PM

This is great advice. Ivan Balabanov teaches this technique for the out. I have watched my Dad do this with young Mals & even an older German Shepherd that would not out. He changed it a little by marking the OUT and rewarding quickly. He really plays hard with the dogs and always makes it a lot of fun.

Good Luck!!!

Gabby

He doesn't ask for reasons. If he has learned a task, he will work because he knows that he gives you great pleasure. -- Jan Kaldenbach (describing the character of a working dog)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dOgIf you use a tug, you can hold it still. Once is it is still, the "prey" is dead, drive drops, he'll out.
Reward with praise and start it moving again, make him miss, drive goes up. Let him catch it and win the game.
It's a game, and the bite and fight is the biggest reward. Once it's still, game has to restart, so out is natural, he'll want it live again.
Once he's won it, he'll bring it back to play some more for the same reason, as it's already dead in his grip.

I have to say this is method is GREAT!! I was amazed on how fast it worked. And I havent worked on any outs prior to doing this.

Lyra (Sterks Aleta)~Dutch Shepherd
Mace vom Misteri, FO ~ GSD
Ryot ~GSD (my true heart dog
RIP)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dOgIf you use a tug, you can hold it still. Once is it is still, the "prey" is dead, drive drops, he'll out.
What would you do with a dog that continues to pull on it even after YOU have stopped? That's what my Cocker does. I'll stop tugging on it but he just keeps pulling. All four feet planted, he goes PULL PULL PULL PULL and can keep it up for quite some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page