teaching out - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Crowned Member

Re: teaching out

My Morgan is that way too - too much mileage between then and now for me to remember how I taught her to let go. I do know when she catches REAL PREY (some creature in the yard) she'll keep shaking it until I call her off it.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 04:31 AM
Knighted Member

One of the most effective ways I've learned to teach a dog "give" is to spit yummy treats on the top of the dog's head.

What I do is I fill my mouth with a number of pieces of meat or cheese. Then I play whatever game I'm playing with my dog (fetch or tug or whatever) and when I want my dog to let go of the item, I hold onto it and say "GIVE!" and then immediately start spitting treats onto the top of his head.

I have yet to have a dog that doesn't let go of whatever they have so that they can go after the treats.

Do this for several training sessions and you'll have a dog that releases immediately (and happily) on command. Once they're doing that, it's easy to switch out to just throwing the toy again instead of spitting treats. I tend to still do the treats on occasion so that the dog doesn't ever really know when the sky will be raining bits of meat and cheese .. *L*

I've used the "freeze and don't tug back" method and it does work well on some dogs, but there are others who simply keep pulling. So I tend to always go through the "rain of treats" training at some point to reinforce the concept that "give" is a really good thing.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 PM

This is EXACTLY the behavior you want in a dog to teach the out effectively by stopping the prey. Pull the prey item up close to your body and simply wait them out. Once they OUT put the item back into a prey mode and let the dog strike. Melanie describes a method they may work with some dogs, but my Mal and a friend's GSD that I trained that were possesive prey monsters showed no interest in the food.

One little note here this can be a physically taxing training method and you may be exhausted after just a couple of sessions. Be patient it will work and you will have a good clean crisp out because the dog learns quickly that out means another chance at the prey.

-- Bama Lorne

Well I wouldn't trade my life for diamonds or jewels
I never was one of them money hungry fools
I'd rather have my fiddle and my farmin' tools
Thank God I'm a country boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page