Teaching basic commands in German - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Teaching basic commands in German

In all the work we're committed to doing with Gunner and Riley, I'd like to start teaching Gunner some new things to keep his mind sharp, in addition to making sure he gets plenty of physical exercise.
I'm changing the route we take on our walks to give him some different scenery and was goofing around teaching him "straight", "left turn" and "right turn" today.
I'd like to start teaching him his basic commands in German. I thought that would be something fun for us to do and since he loves to learn new things, I think he'd enjoy it.

Can someone give me the translations for the basic 'sit', 'stay', etc.? I'd also love to know one for a general "It's okay" or "Be nice"... something like that. (Not that I have to TELL him to be nice, but strangers don't know that. )
I've learned that you can't really trust the free online translation sites and I don't want to be using the wrong words. I'd look like a real idiot if we ever encounter someone who actually speaks German!

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Teaching basic commands in German

Honestly, I would not worry about "looking like a real idiot" if you encounter someone who actually speaks German if you use badly translated German. I've met a lot of people who train in German whose translations or pronunciation are really far off, and (as someone who speaks German), I don't think it's a big deal, as long as your dog knows the command and obeys it.

This site has a pretty good list of German commands, along with pronunciation and sound files so you can hear it -
http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/languag1.htm

For "be nice", I would most likely use, "sei brav". ("Brav" actually translates to "well behaved" or "obedient".)

What context are you using "it's okay" in? I'm trying to think of what a good German command for the situation would be. Germans do use the word "okay", especially younger people.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the link!
I'm half German, so I've wanted to learn the language myself for quite a while, but have never gotten around to it. My grandpa taught me a little bit when I was younger, but I don't remember any of it now. (He always said the only word I really needed to know was "nein." LOL.)

I always tell him 'it's okay' when I'm walking him alone and we're approached by a stranger. Men, especially. Gunner's friendly and likes people, but they don't need to know that. I'd rather they think that he's friendly when I tell him it's okay to be friendly.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Crowned Member

You could use "der/die ist in Ordnung" for "he/she is okay", but that's pretty long for a "command". Alternatively, "ist in Ordnung" or "ist Okay" would work for that type of situation.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Elite Member

I agree with Chris. People butcher German every day. So no worries there.
Keep everything short and simple since the actual translations can be very long.
I pick up the German from those around me (easier for me since I live in Germany) But still when you get out training listen to what others are saying. Reading the words isn't the same as hearing them said. Live Brav is said here Braf. Each area of Germany have their own little language too. Just don't say Ick for Ich(I).

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Crowned Member

Mine are trained in Germish,

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaxGunnarMine are trained in Germish,

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaxGunnarMine are trained in Germish,
Hey me too

Funny story - Luther's first people were Brown students and he was trained in german, maybe they were practicing their conversational german with him.

One day we happened across an older gentleman and I told Luther to sitz. The man asked me in german if I spoke it, I said a little bit, mostly dog commands. Then he looked right at Luther and said who knows what but my dog went off! The man was rather taken back, I've always wondered what he said.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SunCzarina
Funny story - Luther's first people were Brown students and he was trained in german, maybe they were practicing their conversational german with him.

One day we happened across an older gentleman and I told Luther to sitz. The man asked me in german if I spoke it, I said a little bit, mostly dog commands. Then he looked right at Luther and said who knows what but my dog went off! The man was rather taken back, I've always wondered what he said.
Yeah, I think I'd want to know what he said, too. So I could be sure never to say it around him in the future!

We got a funny reaction on our walk tonight. We encountered a man walking with his little girl. Naturally, he started to take the wide arc around us. I told the guy "he's fine" and told Gunner to "sitz" (which he already has down) and then scratched behind his ear like I always do when I tell him that it's 'okay' and said "sei brav." The guy looked at me and said "Oh, he's a police officer." Something about picturing Gunner as a police dog made me want to burst out laughing. I had to tell the guy that he's just an old dog learning new tricks.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page