age GSD calm down and listen better? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

age GSD calm down and listen better?

Is there a round about age when GSD start to calm down and relax ? I have noticed my dog slowly getting better with things but he still wants to protect and BARK at people.He just turned a year old last month.I shush him and tap him on the neck all the time but it does not faze him.(Like Cesar Millan says to do)He loves to ride.I drop my daughter off at school,soccer practice etc. and he will bark at the people walking by. Should he be past this at his age or will it come in time? I have read that they say GSD are in their puppy stage till about 2-3 years old. Would you agree with that? I just don't want to push him to must and I don't want him to be behind either. He sits, comes,stays,(most of the time)swims,lays down and is now learning Pull.When he gets excited /or people come he is reluctant to listen as much and I don't know if that is a age thing.How do I get him to stop barking at people and is it to early for him to realize it is not an immediate threat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Knighted Member

Re: age GSD calm down and listen better?

I find that Fidelco perfers to leave Fosters in our care untill they are around 1 1/2 years old. They don't even want to attempt training guide dogs until they are about this age. Please be careful using Ceasar techniques. I'm not saying that all of his techniques are bad, but really bad cases make really good TV. Try positive reinforcement first! Have really great treats with you at all times, and when he barks, distract him with the treat. Make him do something he knows how to do, and then reward him as if he just created the world. It will get better, but he won't grow out of it unless you help him learn a different response. Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

I think the maturity level depends on the line. Do you have him in any obedience classes? Redirect him to you when he is barking, if it is in the car use a command "Quiet" and be stern. When he is quiet, give him high value treats, along with praise.
He needs to know that you and your family are the ones in control and he doesn't have to alert you to everyone he sees.
I am still working on this with my rescue Kacie who is now 3. She barks when my 16 yr old son comes down the stairs. We have had her over a yr and she still barks at him, and DH sometimes when he comes inside...
I am never home during the day, but ran home today for a minute, and UPS guy was dropping off stuff for my DH's business(daily occurance). The dogs were barking and hitting the door as I am sure they do everytime he delivers. I am now putting the pieces together as why Onyx is reactive to men in hats and sunglasses! Poor UPS guy, probably hates the dogs...I told DH to leave him a note to put the deliveries on the side of his shop, not on the bench near the breezeway door.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

He is doing very well.I have a in home daycare and he is great with the children and their parents. He loves to run and play with them. He sits and lays down during lunch . He is coming along very nicely I think.The barking is the worst things he does (except for one new thing that happened the other day) I tell him(sometimes) to lay down in the van and that works for a few minute. I will just have to be more consistent(I think that is my fault). Ok ,here goes and I can hear it already.... I had a father come to pick up a child the other day and when he came in Vader (my dog) started barking then growling at him.I said NO,took him by the collar and told him to be nice. He stopped growling for a second.I told him to sniff(that's how we introduce him to new people)he sniffed for about 3 seconds and started growling and attempted to pull closer to him as I pulled him back. I then put him in my bedroom until the father left. He has not done this before(except to a stray dog in our yard). This father has never in a year come into my house.The father always stands outside at the bottom of the steps and the child rings the bell and I let him in.Also we(me and this father ) have had exchanged words before so we do not like each other and have as little contact with each other as possible. I am torn about my dogs behavior. On one hand I think he did his job,he did not know this man,he was protecting me and the other 5 children behind me, and I think he might of sensed a bad feeling from the father . It maybe he needs to be socialized with more different people, something I have not thought about till just now.He is socialize with a lot of people but it is the same people since he was a pup.The people at church,the daycare kids and their family and my friends and relatives.. I guess I should have him meet and greet a stranger often. ok But then I think no,I told him No,and he should have listened.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

Have the father give him a really tasty treat and not make any eye contact, just treat and ignore your boy.
A friend of mine had a daycare, and one guy that her GSD did not like she later found out was having an affair! Funny that sometimes our dogs can sense what we can't...
maybe your pup saw this guy, and only from afar, made him leary when the father finally was within touching distance.
My friends dog will go on "patrol" whenever anyone says "stranger danger" she never taught her this and it is funny to see Zoey's reaction when you say this. She is from Am showlines, btw. Zoey's owner is now married to my Church's pastor, so she is socialized that same way, church, kids, but she will bark fiercely when someone she doesn't know approaches.
You should maybe take Vader to OB classes for socialization more than anything, you will both get your relationship stronger in the time you have one on one.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Knighted Member

I think you are so right about the bad feelings between you and this man being a factor! The only time my dog has ever barked at a person, other than to let us know someone was in the yard or at the door, was a man on the beach I was afraid of. But it was one bark, no growling and no hackles. She had been lying beside me, sat up, stared at him, let out this bark, I asked her to lie back down and that was it. But she watched him pretty intently.
I would also ask if you are doing any formal training with him. It seems he might feel it is his job to decide what is a threat or not. Do you practice NILIF? That for us has established who calls the shots in the house. I am amazed at how much it helps in establishing that I am the leader of my dog. And without any battles about it- very easy.
Keep up the great work with him.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Knighted Member

There has never been someone I didn't like that my girls have!!! No matter how hard I tried to covered my feelings. Even if I had the person act nicely to my dogs, I guess I've never been able to control my feelings enough for them!

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:02 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

When? Six months, to a couple of years, to never. Dena was more calm and mature at 6 months old than Keefer is at 3 years old! She's always been a really good dog, and he's STILL a wild and crazy boy! He's a lot of fun because he's full of energy and enthusiasm, but he can be a trial at times. I'm hoping he'll get there eventually, but seriously, it so depends on the dog and their inherent personality, and also the time and training that you're willing to put in.

The more work you do with him and the earlier, the better, so keep training, be consistent, and as Lucina said, NILIF really helps create structure and teach manners. http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm I start this immediately with my pups as soon as they come home. I got both Dena & Keefer at 9 weeks old, and at first I kept it very easy, and only made it more challenging as they matured and developed mentally.

Have you taken any obedience classes?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

I have never heard of NILIF until this site.I am looking in to it.I read and own lots of books.My mother is a wild life animal rehabilitater and has been as long as I can remember.We have had so, so, many animals.She use to raise ferret's,a few different breeds of dogs(mostly Bostons) and lots of birds.She is great for resources. I do not take him to any classes. I don't think a lot of the trainers around here teach anything I don't already know. I have spoke with a trainer in my area on the phone for about an hour and I was NOT impressed with her even though she has trained for several years and is also a groomer.I guess for the social part of it would be good.I do reward him with treats,lots of praise and his ball. Mostly the ball(he loves balls)and petting. I try and save the treats for new things or trouble areas.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

NILIF is great! It's totally hands off, in that the dog always has the choice to comply....but there are consequences if he doesn't - he doesn't get what he wants. It's based on the simple premise that the leader of the pack gets to control the resources, so dogs totally get it. No punishment, no force. But there is discipline in the form of rules that he needs to comply with to get what he wants.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page