Outdoor dogs/attack by wildlife/training w/a stick - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
ryt

Outdoor dogs/attack by wildlife/training w/a stick

<span style="color: #999999">First of all dont worry, my dogs are very happy outside, we built them winter homes with insulation... </span>

Is there a way to teach them to poop in a certain area outside, not just anywhere on the lawn? theyre 13 weeks old

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Re: outdoor dog, how to teach to poop in certain a

I wouldn't leave 13 week old puppies outside for 5 minutes alone much less most/all of the day. Way too much outside in the big scary world they can get into and get harmed/killed by.

Though yes, it is possible to teach a dog to potty in one spot. You'd have to watch the dogs though (Which means no leaving them outside) and take them out yourself when they need to go and take them to that spot and give a command word. (ie. "go potty") Eventually they'll learn thats where they go when they gotta go. A dog who's left outside on his own though will go where he pleases and wont catch on because he wont be told where it's acceptable to go each and every time he needs to.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Crowned Member

Agreed

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Crowned Member

ryt, you might want to go to the Intro Section and Intro youself. You don't ahve to give us an axact location, but you might want to put some info in your Profile. This is an International Board, so temps vary greatly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Crowned Member

Re: outdoor dog, how to teach to poop in certain area

You can do some things to help, like to set the dog houses and the food dishes as far apart from the place you want them to poop as possible. They 're clean by nature and don't want to do their busyness next to the places they sleep and eat.

But the truth is, if they are outdoor 24/7 the only way is to get a tent and sleep outside with them. That way, every time they need to poo you pick them and take them to the place you want them to do until it becomes an habit. How much does it take for them to learn depends in how consistent you are, if they are allowed to go only there, 100% of times, they can learn in a week. If you're able to catch them one every other time, but the rest of the time they do where they want, it will take forever.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
ryt

Thanx,
they're in kennels right now it will be another month before they will move to the dog house. And I never leave them alone together because they like to fight. also, this is in a national forest, so other people are not a problem
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Crowned Member

How clean are they in their kennel?

Are they going to have separate dog houses and runs outside?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

ryt, why are you forced to keep your young puppies outside? All of us have either heard why this is a bad idea, or done it so know it's a bad idea, so I'm sure we'll try to pass those experiences.

Actually, if they are too overwhelming to keep in the house and train, you may want to call the breeder and ask if they will take at least one of the puppies back so you will have the time to train the other (do you just have 2 or more?).

Here's some sites with other info about why it's not good for the puppies to keep them outside:

http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/outside_dogs.htm

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/news/OutsideDogs.htm

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/outdoor.html

I've had friends who get puppies and think that it's kind of like getting fish, once you buy the tank (caged area outside) and the fish (your puppies) and the food............ you just put everything together, feed them and water them a couple times a day. Watch them to make sure they are ok, then go on with the rest of their otherwise extremely busy lives.

And it's only when the pups are around 6 months to a year old that they start finding out that puppies aren't really like fish at all and need TONS more time and commitment (really more like children...).

I'm guessing these must be your first GSD puppies by the following comment:

Quote:
Quote:they like to fight
13 week old puppies (unless there is something tragically wrong their temperments and you need to get them back to the breeder...) don't fight. They only play and wrestle. It's not only normal but NECESSARY for normal growth, exercise and socialization.

Frankly, good breeders won't sell 2 puppies to any of us at the same time cause it's not good for the puppies and too hard for most of us. Here's info about that:

http://leerburg.com/2dogs.htm

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/2pups.htm

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
ryt

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerHow clean are they in their kennel?
quite messy in the morning, but we're trying harder now, I read here that they can't be potty trained before 14 weeks old

Quote:
Quote:Are they going to have separate dog houses and runs outside?
yes, 2 seperate dog houses so they can't reach each other when unatended. I think I will place houses together, with center of the tieout chain away so they can't tangle up around the house while at the same time can be closer together in case of some animal comes by, bears should be asleep in another month, and in the spring I don't think bears will want to be anywhere near here any more...

dog houses will be much better then anything on the market - I really liked the ones we saw at lowes for $118 each, but my dad didn't like them we ended up buying materials for ~$260 instead to do it the right way ourselves.... it will be special out door boards on the outside, insulation in the middle, followed by another layer of plywood inside... galvanized steal roof... we're thinking hanging strips of carpet for doors? but maybe they will chew those off? hmmm
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:23 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

rytisss,

Why did you change your screenname? Which account would you like deleted? We are only allowed one on this site, otherwise we all get so confused...

Other posts are here for those who need to keep up...

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=761102&page=1

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page