Has anyone ever tackled this issue? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Has anyone ever tackled this issue?

I'll admit I am astounded and unfortunately also conflicted. DH and his sister who I love so much, not only didn't grow up around dogs-- they are in the absolute fullest sense of the word "not dog people." They love Grimm, do many kind things for him-- but they love him from a distance. Here's what's the base of the problem:

When Grimm interacts with someone, especially when he comes to them while socializing, he lowers his ears way down so his forehead is totally smooth, lowers his head and neck, grins a gentle grin, makes happy soft eyes, and-- gives some licks. Not the disgusting long slow slurps, but a short, slappy, loud, brief tongue lash that sounds like a banner snapping in the wind. He may do this a few times in a row, too. I love it. Smiley boy giving kisses of greeting. DH and his sister, however, do NOT like dog kisses at ALL. The shrink back as if dog kisses were plutonium-laced.

Grimm knows "Leave it," "Out," "Kiss-kiss". He knows "Pfui" and "Accckk-aaackkk!!"

I don't know what to do, what I want to do. I want Grimm to be able to stand there and be petted without licking someone who doesn't wish to be licked. I could for a specific command maybe that he knows THIS greeting or person must be withOUT a kiss? As I said, I love this greeting-- for myself. This is a very strong habit of Grimms, and totally natural for him. If you have a pulse, you're his friend. This is his way of showing it. But, it is not welcomed by DH and his sister.

I am wondering, has anyone else dealt with this? Did you just have a "no kissing" command.. or teach the dog specificly to stand with butt towards person, for example-- adopt a specific petting posture?

What did you do re folks who hate dog kisses?

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Has anyone ever tackled this issue?

I do No kisses and turn away. I have also taught a kisser to before he would meet someone pick up a toy, with something in their mouth they can't kiss-kiss. Also with the toy if the dog didn't get one I would toss one to the person the dog was greeting and tell them if you don't want lots of doggie kisses, give the dog the toy BEFORE you pet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Master Member

I have a family member that has said, "I would rather be bit by a dog than licked by them". They just don't like having anything to do with dogs. I generally don't like to have a dog lick me and have made it obvious to my dogs, so generally speaking, neither of my dogs lick other people. If they do, I tell them to back off and it's done.

I don't see licking as "kisses" at all. My dogs sniff strangers and company and I always tell people not to baby talk upon first meeting them otherwise Inga may do a low growl and Chaco will get "too friendly".

Inga Vom Holtzberg-Black GSD
Chaco-White Bull Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Crowned Member

Why not come at it from the other side. Teach your dog to give kisses on command and then stop the unsolicited licking.

This way you can get kisses whenever you want and people who don't want them won't have to worry.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Master Member

In this situation I do distraction for the dog. Play w it or ask it to come to me. My gsd will lick after a while but licks the kids and I don't want to stop that.

Heidi-GSD- RIP
Dutchess-GSD RIP
Sadie-Lab-Silly girl
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for responding Val and Dano. I do not feel it is changeworthy behavior regarding Grimm's interacting with me, I see it as a positive.. but apparently with others Grimm may interact with, it can be an issue. To be truthful, I'm still stuck in the shock phase that anyone can find it so horrific to get even one kiss. And yes, I do see it as a greeting, a kiss. I don't mind it from other people's dogs. I grew up on a farm, and to me, it is simply par for the course. That said, I'll certainly consider the toy method, or the no kiss command. Thanks for any and all ideas!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Crowned Member

I let my dogs give me kisses when I give them permission to do so. I don't mind a few kisses, but since I am the alpha if I don't want them they are not allowed to give kisses. I know I can be such a "B". For dogs that have a real oral fixation I have found that they are better if they have a toy in their mouth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Master Member

A toy in the mouth is a good idea but my dog, Inga, gets a little fixated and obsessed on the toy. I think I have a weird dog. I don't have a toy with me at all times either.

Inga Vom Holtzberg-Black GSD
Chaco-White Bull Terrier
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

I my first GSD walked around with a toy in his mouth, started as a pup, either his mouth was occupied or he was biting....

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Elite Member

Isn't it a submissive behavior?
Acknowledging they are not the top dog?

I watch my pups and when they meet a new dog they may do one of a few things. Either sniff and walk away. Sniff and stand nearby. Or lower their body and lick the mouth of the other dog.

I like "kisses". And if people don't want them they shouldn't be down on the same level as the pups. Most of the time they are good and will just go laydown nearby.

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page