How do i teach my GSD to go outside on command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

How do i teach my GSD to go outside on command

I have a 1.5 year old GSD who to say the least likes to be inside. As a puppy he would go outside on command without a fuss. Now, when I tell him to "go outside" he will throw his ears back, walk to the opposite side of the room, and sit down. When I grab onto his collar he goes limp. When I pull on his collar he will reverse and be very hesitant.

What meathod would you reccommend in this situation to correct my GSD's behavior? I feel that just pulling on his collar everytime and telling him to "go outside" is not doing me any good.

Thanks,

Adam

"Truth is Treason in the Empire of Lies."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Crowned Member

Re: How do i teach my GSD to go outside on command

Hi Adam,

From your description of his reaction it sounds like you're scaring him and actually giving him a negative association with going outside. You want to start over and make it very positive. Go outside with him and play with him every single time he goes out. Alternately you can give him a treat after he's done his business. Whichever method you use you want to make it really positive and upbeat for him. Every time he goes outside he has fun!

I would pick a new command since that one already has something unpleasant attached to it and then say the command in a happy voice as you are running outside with him. After a little while (using this method of counter conditioning) he should be more excited to go outside.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Crowned Member

Are you going outside with him? Is there some reason that you can think of that he doesnt like going outside? A previous bad experience ect.

I have to be careful and make my dogs sit before we go outside as they bumrush me to get to the door. They love going outside, but that is where we play ball and have lots of fun. Do you get to do anything fun with him outside?

I would say get some treats and don't use his collar to direct him but make everything very fun and happy to entice him outside and go out with him tell him to go potty and when he does his business mark it (like good potty) or something like that and give him a treat. Maybe play some ball like I said above or do some training with some treats, just so he know going outside can be fun!

Hope that helps

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Yeah what Ruth said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page