Alert me when she's "found it" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Alert me when she's "found it"

JoJo, my 3yo, is pretty good at finding what I've sent her for. But how do I teach her to let me know when she has found it? Like, sit, lay down, or paw at it. Right now she just grabs it and does her own thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:28 PM

Re: Alert me when she's "found it"

Depends on what she's searching for. If it's an object, such as lost keys or a lost wallet, you can have her sit or lay down next to the item. To teach this, I would place said item, say a wallet, on the floor in plain sight. Put your pup on a leash and stand a few feet away. Now give the pup the "search" command (whatever word that may be) and let her go to the object. When she sniffs the wallet, immediately tell her to sit (or down or whatever). As SOON as she sits, reward her with something, a toy or treat or whatever she loves most. Keep doing this until her alert is solid, then start sending her from farther away. Eventually you'll get her to the point where you can hide the object and she'll have to use her nose to find it.

Disclaimer: Your post wasn't too detailed about exactly what you're wanting her to find. The above training technique usually works when you're wanting a dog to find something with a very specific scent (say a leather wallet or whatever). Keep in mind that the dog has to be clear on what she's searching for. If you teach her to alert to the scent of leather, for example, she could alert on leather furniture, toys, clothes, suitcases, etc. Keep that in mind when you start training.

~Emily~

Bella — 4 year old black Lab mix
Jaga — 4 year old GSD, CGC, TDI
Hollandia vom Landholz (Holly) — 2 year old GSD, CGC, NNDDA SAR (land cadaver)
Oliver — crazy cat
Jake — ball python
and the fishies

Kodak, 3 year old Chihuahua/terrier mix, RIP
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Re: Alert me when she's "found it"

Thanks..... Sorry for the vague post. Got in a little hurry... Typically she finds whatever I have sent her for. For food searches I put her in a sitstay and toss the piece of food in the yard, have her smell the extra of the food, then send her out. She will search and when she finds it she just eats it and comes back. With toys I will show her the toy even play with it a little, sitstay, i'll go hide it or throw it out the door, then send her out. When she finds it she will pick it up and play with it or lay down and chew on it. I would like for her to let me know she has found it since sometimes I don't even know where the piece of food landed.

I am starting to wonder if this is really even possible now, since she is already so used to her find being her reward.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!! Any more questions? just ask...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page