Ring a bell to go out? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Ring a bell to go out?

We are thinking of teaching our dog Henry to ring a big bell if he needs to go out. His signals for needing to go out are very vague and we are hoping that this may help us all out. Currently, he usually gets a little hyper and tries to do some mischievous things to get our attention. (i.e. hard to read when he's a one year old pup)

I have read several articles about how to go about doing this (as well as possible drawbacks to it) but am interested to hear your thoughts or experiences on teaching this.

Thanks,
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Elite Member

Re: Ring a bell to go out?

My Ava is also vague.....usually she just sits in front of me now, I was kind of afraid of using the bell, that sounds like way too much fun. Ring the bell and watch the humans run...

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
dOg
Elite Member

It's simple enough to do, just hang some bells on the doorknob.
Door opens, they ring.

Overtime, dog will ring them trying to make the door open, alerting you
it needs to go out. (when you weren't paying attention)

I tied some sleigh bells to an old leather belt, added a wire hook for over doorknob, inexpensive & durable.

No effort required. Dog will figure it out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:19 PM

I use the jingle bells also. My male would just sitting at the back door and if I wasn't paying attention he would just sit there until I noticed he wanted to go out. My friend told me to try it and like dOg said it is so simple.
Funny thing though my female will NOT ring the bells, she comes and gets me.

Betsy
Catori - 4/01 GSD
Blitz - 10/05 GSD
Thor - GSD (rescue)
Kitties - Marble, Jasper & Hallie

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Master Member

Izzy rings the bell to go out, she is so proud of herself, she look at me and she seems to say Did I do it Right? I praise her alot!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Elite Member

Thats how my son trained his Chessy, Bells on the door knob worked great!!! Good Luck!!

Sherri & the 6 Holy Terrors...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog. SL"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Elite Member

Mya usually will go to the door and then pace around to find a person, once they see her she gives a look and heads back to the door. Someone is always home during the day so shes pretty good without the use of bells, but it does sound like a great idea that i'll keep in my head for future reference, maybe with a new pup or new rescue...

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 05:23 PM

We have Duke trained on the Poochy bells I think they are called. I was very leary using them thinking there was no way he'd catch on or ever try or want to use them. well he proved me and my DH wrong! He uses them all the time when he wants out, its so cute! All my friends are amazed!

We just trained him to nudge the bells with his nose with lots of praise and treats at first, now its just 2nd nature for him

We got ours at a natural pet store for about 15.00, well worth it and he's almost 7 months old, been fully potty trained for about 2 months and he still uses them to "ask" to go out.

Bear - 11 y/o GSD - RIP, we miss you & we know Duke would love you so much!
Duke - 1 year old ( Aug. 6th, 2008 ) Passed away 12 / 2014 broke my heart.

Chloe - 11yr old kitty getting used to his new brother
Jake - 8 months old
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Master Member

Wilson learned this at a very young age. He would rub his nose against the bells hanging from the doorknob and get to out or in. No treats, just praise. It worked perfectly. Now he just nuzzles the doorknob - (the bells got rusty and we got rid of them)

Nancy, Anthony and Wilson Patriot (born 03/15/01 - came home with us 06/15/01)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Crowned Member

We used a little brass bell that I hung on a string tied to the doorknob. I'd ring it everytime we went out, and Luca quickly caught on.

You do quickly get the point where they're ringing it just for laughs, though. Stop ringing that bell! You just came in!

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page